Two year old doesn't need sleep

(10 Posts)
AintOverUntilTheCatLadySings Wed 09-Sep-20 09:12:08

Our 2 year old (almost 3) has never needed a lot of sleep. She now sleeps through BUT she'll go to bed at 9.45pm and wake up at 5.15am.

She has an hour nap most days - but if she doesn't nap, it just seems to energise her more and she'll be up until 11. Long naps, skipping naps, short naps etc have never made a difference to her sleep patterns.

She's really good about getting to sleep if she's actually tired. She doesn't tantrum or fight it. But she just won't go to sleep any earlier.

We bought a gro clock and that worked for about 3 weeks - she'd go to bed at 8.30pm and get up at 7am (5am wake up where she'd come in with us and go back to sleep).

I'm pregnant and my only symptom is extreme tiredness, so this isn't really helping matters (although my DH gets up with her a 5.15 and I go back to bed).

Her latest thing is to say she's hungry am when she wakes up (although she has a mini dinner at the childminder and another with us at 6 where she'll snack on whatever we're having) so going to start leaving a snack for her next to her bed.

Has anyone else had this problem? My mum said me and my siblings were the same and she just used to give us an alarm clock and say we had to stay in our rooms until 6.30am.

6.45am would be a right treat at the moment.

OP’s posts: |
AintOverUntilTheCatLadySings Wed 09-Sep-20 09:13:18

Should add, we use the Moshi app to get her to sleep and it's brilliant.

Just need her to stay asleep until after 6.30am.

severusbadger Wed 09-Sep-20 09:13:55

Please do not leave a snack beside her bed sad

What if she chokes?

Mybobowler Wed 09-Sep-20 09:17:45

Have you tried giving her porridge before bed? It might keep her full overnight. If she's having her last proper meal at 6pm and not going to bed until after 9, she might just be hungry? My daughter is a bit younger and I'd personally avoid leaving a snack by her bed - as well as choking hazard (and the mess!), it doesn't seem like a great habit to get into. Habitially early mornings are awful though, you have my sympathy!

AintOverUntilTheCatLadySings Wed 09-Sep-20 10:57:28

Her favourite snack is an Ella's pouch (savoury). Was going to leave it with the lid off with a drink in a sippy cup. So choking risk is minimal. We already keep a few in her room or our room to give her when she wakes up in the hope she'll go back to sleep.

We've not tried porridge but she'll have things like homemade sweet potato shepherds pie, wholewheat pasta, turkey-based meals, yoghurt and museli- very slow digest carb-y things that should send her off and keep her asleep. I read somewhere that sweet potato was supposed to be a wonder sleep food - we all ate so much that we turned orange, but still no sleep! All we've ended up doing is making DH and i wonderfully sleepy instead.

Also tried sleep spray, Asda little angels vapour bath, white noise, warm room etc

I'll see if she'll eat porridge tonight and if that works! Thank you.

Mybobowler Wed 09-Sep-20 11:01:55

Definitely give it a go. I like to mix in cinnamon with a few raisins, or mashed banana. Oats contain tryptophan, which helps with sleep. My mum often used to give us porridge before bedtime so there's a strong comfort association there for me anyway. Good luck!

AintOverUntilTheCatLadySings Wed 09-Sep-20 17:49:19

No idea how she's still awake - but she didn't nap all day, despite getting up at 5 and going to bed just before 10. I'm praying for an early night tonight

Advertisement

BabetteAteOtemeal Wed 09-Sep-20 17:51:10

Whats the Moshi app OP?

Finfintytint Wed 09-Sep-20 18:01:11

How much physical activity is she doing? Mine slept a good deal better when he was also physically tired through play, especially outdoors.

AintOverUntilTheCatLadySings Thu 10-Sep-20 10:24:23

Finfintytint

How much physical activity is she doing? Mine slept a good deal better when he was also physically tired through play, especially outdoors.

She's the most active child you could imagine 😂 which makes it even more difficult on the days that she's up to 11pm.

She's at the childminder x4 days a week and on the x3 days she's with me we're constantly on the go. Lots of long walks, activities etc.

If anything, exercise seems to energise her.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in