Talk

Advanced search

Not sure which training route to go down...

(2 Posts)
suzi2 Thu 27-Sep-07 21:19:43

DD is 7 months and is a crap sleeper. Wakes every 90mins or so screaming and requires bouncing in her hammock (won't sleep in a cot at all) to get back to sleep. Often after 45 mins bouncing we'll stop and she'll wake within mins and I'll end up cosleeping and feeding her every 45 mins to keep her quiet!

We tried CC (well, sort of... part of our solution was to not leave the room and provide comfort if she got really bad) and had good results the first couple of nights. But we think it was pure exhaustion. Since then, we've given up trying to get her to self settle after a few hours of screaming/being sick/hyperventilation. At some point, our knackeredness gives into her so I'm just not convinced we can see it through.

Option 2 is to keep on doing what we have to do to get her to take some/any sleep and work it all out later if she doesn't magically fix it herself (which DS seemed to at about a year!). Problem with this is that in the meantime we're tied to long stints settling her, not much sleep, and DS (who's 2) being distrubed and not getting enough 1to1 time in the day as time is spent trying to soothe her and get her to nap.

Option 3 is to cosleep with her. Biggest problems here are that I'm worried about how it'll work now she's almost crawling. Worried about it being a rod for my own back and her being in with me for the next 2 years. I don't get as little sleep as I can shove a boob in her mouth or hold her hand at every mutter. But it's uncomfortable, very light sleep and I suppose I would like a 'better' fix.

What I do know is that I should try to pick something and stick to it... any words of wisdom?

suss Thu 27-Sep-07 21:52:46

read marc wiessbluth's book healthy sleep, happy child. it goes through all the solutions - even when a child makes themselves sick. He doesn't say that any method is better than another but it is more important that a child gets good quality sleep. Good luck grin

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: