Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Please help with a routine for my 5 month ds

(3 Posts)
geordiemacminx Mon 24-Sep-07 08:26:06

Could really do with some help or advice as lack of sleep/routine is getting me down

DS is bf, but has a ff before bed, usually 9oz, then goes to sleep about 8pm in his moses basket (first problem).

He used to sleep through around 5, but for the past 3 weeks he has been waking between 1 and 4. Normally I lift him out of basket which is in his cot, take him into spare bed and lie next to him, feeding him til we both fall asleep. Unfortunately its getting to a stage where he is comfort feeding on and off most of the night, so neither of us get much sleep.

I have tried feeding him and putting him back in his basket but he just screams. This morning he woke at 3, i fed him til 4, brought him downstairs, he had 3oz of a bottle, he didnt go back til nearly 5am and was awaske again at 6.30....

I really want to get him into a routine of some sort, or even just out of the habit of being fed back to sleep, as i feel at 5 months he's not a "baby" any more, and any bad habits we get into now are just gonna cause further problems down the line.

In an ideal world I woyuld like him inb his cot, sleeping through agsin, or even waking feeding and going back down.

Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated....i'm even thinking of buying the GF book I'm getting that desperate!!!

EvangelinesMum Mon 24-Sep-07 09:42:06

You could try getting your ds to sleep in his cot for his daytime naps, just to ease him in gently. I have also had the same with my dd waking more frequently in the night after sleeping through at three months(she is 5 1/2 months). It went on for about 2-3 weeks but seems to be settling down again so I think may have just been a growth spurt. HV suggested might be because i havent weaned her yet but i dont want to until she is 6 months - im going to try baby led weaning. She now goes from 7pm till about 4am then about 5am to 6.30am. I think thats pretty good really. some babies dont sleep through till a year old. I also end up bf-ing her to sleep a lot of the time. Sometimes if i know she is tired i will leave her in her cot for her nap and let her cry for a bit - she usually settles herself in about 10 mins. Sounds harsh maybe but i figure she needs to learn to fall asleep herself. i would never let her cry for hours though - thats just cruel IMHO. Dont know if that helps but just wanted you to know you are not alone - sorry this is very long and rambling!

spiritofstlouis Tue 25-Sep-07 21:16:52

Had similar problems with my DS recently (he's now 5.5. months) I decided that I'd try to only feed once and get my DH to settle him for other wakings. If he really seemed hungry then I'd feed quickly and get DH to put him back in the cot. He often needed settling a few times but it was more bearable that way and he went back to one waking/ quick feed after a week or so. I think DH was just more relaxed about it (he hasn't had 5 months of night feeds so he should be!)

I'm now trying to work out how we can get him to sleep through as I'm going back to work in six weeks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now