Talk

Advanced search

Another Q re overtired baby and desperate quest for even a teeny nap

(12 Posts)
ChubbyScotsBurd Thu 20-Sep-07 16:06:26

It's me again, slightly different Q so new thread (also feel like I'm totally limp forever wailing on about my miseries so please forgive me). Baby has been awake ALL day and refusing sleep despite doctor's prescription of Gaviscon. Gave in and put grizzly but not upset baby in cot in dark room. Baby now shouting at me. Not proper crying, just yelling, bit agitated, loads of kicking and thrashing, basically totally wired I think. Do I pick him up/reassure him/leave him or what? I sometimes feel that by reassuring him I'm actually just stimulating him more, but I don't want him to think I'm abandoning him.

Quootiepie Thu 20-Sep-07 16:07:58

how old?

fingerwoman Thu 20-Sep-07 16:10:37

I would comfort him. will he fall asleep in your arms if you're holding him in a more upright position?

ChubbyScotsBurd Thu 20-Sep-07 16:13:06

He's 8 wks. Just went and picked him up cos he progressed to wailing. He was quiet but panting (does this when he's really knackered) for a few moments then started to wail again, holding making little difference when he's this tired. Likewise pram/sling/bouncer - he cries whatever. So not sure whether to try to comfort him (knowing it will fail) or whether to leave him. Hate leaving him but seems to make no difference to him either way

fingerwoman Thu 20-Sep-07 16:16:04

poor button I would still comfort him if he is upset though, even if it doesn't seem to make much difference to him. he's still only teeny and needs his mum to be there for him.
I am assuming he has reflux?

Meeely2 Thu 20-Sep-07 16:22:15

i would write the rest of the day off and just pace with him round the lounge - have you tried the lazy tiger position? I used to do with with my two, I will try and explain it.....

lie on their front on your arm, so arms and legs dangle down? does that make any sense? and then just rock - or even swaddle him so he can't thrash......

ChubbyScotsBurd Thu 20-Sep-07 16:22:28

Woooowooooooh!

Went back and picked him up, got the usual punching/kicking/grasping/headbutting/shouting/gasping etc etc for a minute then he tried to eat me (often feeds to sleep but not long finished a huge long feed so not hungry) then he just flaked out! I tried something new and put him in a grobag for the first time before putting him in the cot so just laid him out, he stayed sleeping!

The test will be whether he wakes in the next 10 minutes, that's usually a problem. But managed to get him asleep lying down which is major, major progress. Uh oh, I hear shouts ...

ChubbyScotsBurd Thu 20-Sep-07 16:33:23

Yes Meeely, he sometimes settles in that one but not always, good for wind though I agree. Swaddling's never really worked, he gets even more agitated, partly the handling to get him in it and partly not having his hands free I think. He's colicky/refluxy/windy and totally, chronically overtired. As per a helpful Mumsnetter's suggestion I'm trying to devote every waking hour to getting him sleeping however and whatever it takes, to try and catch up. Had to take him for his 8wk check today which buggered up the morning - he's only had about 3x15 minute naps all day (since 5am) so he's shattered. Just had to resettle him, loads more howling but flaked out again, think the grobag's making the difference, wouldn't normally have managed to get to this stage without another 2-3 hours of yelling.

I feel like I'm monopolising this section at the moment, and I'm sure others have much worse problems than me. It's just I know nowt about babies and children, haven't really got any friends who do, and to have people around to ask for advice is making a huge difference to me. Sorry though for being so needy!

mmelody Thu 20-Sep-07 19:10:39

I have followed your threads with interest CSB as I too have a 9 week old DS.

Up until 2 weeks we were tearing our hair out with tiredness as he was chronically overtired and would refuse to sleep anywhere other than my arms during the day and then only catnapping. I felt like I was never going to be normal again and was almost insane with frustration.

He was constantly grizzly and looked all red eyed and thoroughly miserable.Whenever we put him into his cot on his back or side his eyes would pop open and he would start wailing again. At night though he was going to his cot and settle for 2-3 hours.

In the end I took my Mums suggestion and put him on his front. I have a large V beabag pillow which we kind of 'hooked' him onto in a semi upright position. I sat behind him and
lots of back rubbing later he fell asleep and stayed asleep for an hor and a half. I stayed right next to him cos he was on his front but it was blissful!!!

Following on from this we have continued to do this for all his daytime naps. Every hour and a quarter I take him upstairs and put him over the cushion. He is a differernt baby!!!smile He continues to sleep on his back at night in his cot with no problems. He is relaxed and smiley and so am I. I have also noticed in the past few days that he will fall asleep in his car seat or in his bouncer. He even had a nap on his back in his cot this morning. I just think that he needed to learn how to fall asleep... O h and have you tried the hairdryer/hoover/white noise? I found that it kept him asleep for a little longer...

I know on the front is not recommended but I do stay near him the whole time and I dont think its going to be forever.

I hope your little one settles soon.

bumbly Thu 20-Sep-07 22:03:30

CBS my LO is colicky/windy/reflux and worse

i too dont know what to do and in fact am to tored and knackered to post here even more than I have already...feeling pretty low myself

and really hope you are not as bad as me as wouldnt want to wish it on anyone else

sad

fingerwoman Fri 21-Sep-07 13:22:54

bumbly and CSB, have you tried osteopathy? I'd recommend it to anyone, it can have incredible effects on babies.
definitely worth a try

gingerninja Fri 21-Sep-07 20:44:47

I just want to say to you guys with teeny babies. Hold strong. It will get better. The first few weeks are HARD but it gets better, you learn to cope with it better and they do eventually stop crying.

With reagrds to the op. I was never able to leave my DD to cry and she was VERY windy and coliky. It was the hardest thing and me and DH spent every day and night pacing the floors for the first 3 or 4 months. I would advise you to do whatever you can to get through it. You could also try a warm hot water bottle on the tummy or on your legs and lay DS on it. If you think you're over stimulating him do it in a darker room without the TV on and let him wind down. What about a warm bath too. My DD slept on her side from an early age and once she could roll onto her tummy she slept a lot better. If you're not happy leaving him on his side /tummy then do as one of the other posters mentioned and stay with him while he naps. Put your feet up, watch telly, read. Sleep even!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: