Talk

Advanced search

Does sleeping for more than 2 hours during day affect night time sleep?

(11 Posts)
Liloosmum Tue 18-Sep-07 15:50:41

I'm sure I was told or read somewhere that if a baby sleeps for more than 2 hours during the day that it will have an impact on night time sleep. Does anyone know if that's true? If so, is it true for all ages?

Debbiethemum Tue 18-Sep-07 15:53:01

True for dd, false for ds. No matter what age

PutThatInYourPipeandSmokeIt Tue 18-Sep-07 15:53:39

False for DD - she's 9 months

nailpolish Tue 18-Sep-07 15:53:48

not true for my dd's
dd2 (3) still naps for a couple fo hurs after lunch and goes down fine at night (730pm)

every child is different
dont let any books or well meaning friends/relatives tell you otherwise - go with instinct

Neverenough Tue 18-Sep-07 15:55:50

Definitely depends on the child though probably true for adults.
Babies and children probably sleep when they need to.

Piggy Tue 18-Sep-07 15:56:06

Agree with Naily. Too much or too little daytime sleep and ds2 is a horror slightly challenging at night. Made no difference to ds1 at all.

Joash Tue 18-Sep-07 15:58:17

GS always slept longer at night if he'd had a nap in the daytime - not sure why that was. He is still he same, on the extremely rare occasion that he is so tired that he nods off - he always sleeps longer that night.

bubblagirl Tue 18-Sep-07 15:58:22

more so for toddlers but even if my ds 2.4 dont nap he still wakes in the night the same as if he did nap

suss Wed 19-Sep-07 20:36:19

piggy i had to laugh my ds2.8 being is being more than slightly challenging at the moment as he will not have a short nap during the day and therefore wakes at some ungodly hour in the morning. His teacher at nursery school told me he spent most of the morning lying on the floor with his thumb in his mouth. When babies are tiny they sleep masses as they get older they need less, like us. Ds slept for more than 2hrs during the day until he was about 12 months then he cut to about 2hrs during the day and since he has turned 2 the daytime nap has got shorter and shorter until we are here! to no nap argghhhhhhhhhh.

berolina Wed 19-Sep-07 20:39:30

nailpolish envy how very dare you have such a good sleeper grin

If ds (2.4) sleeps at all in the day, bedtime collapses. He did have a regular daytime sleep until around his birthday, then fairly suddenly gave it up, with the (actually quite pleasant) result that bedtime moved forward a bit. Now he will only sleep in the day if out and about, in backpack or buggy, and not always then.

francagoestohollywood Wed 19-Sep-07 20:52:04

ds rarely slept for 2 hrs. and if he did, that would have affected his night sleep (waking up earlier than usual or not being able to fall asleep)
dd used to nap for about 2 hrs. Then she'd go to sleep with no probs at 8 and wake up at 8.
They are all different.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now