Talk

Advanced search

Why does formula seem to make every child sleep well except mine??!

(6 Posts)
mylittlefreya Sun 09-Sep-07 12:56:17

For medical reasons, I had to FF my dd from birth. She is now 8.5 months. She has never slept through. I am currently trying to get her down to just one nightly feedaround 2-3, most nights it works, some nights it's either really painful or I cave in.

She's quite petite, and mostly BLW but starting to eat reasonable amounts now.

Every time I hear "formula makes them sleep through" I want to scream. We have had 3 nights from hell recently (didn't seem to be teeth) ... I just want a few hours consecutive sleep. What am I doing wrong???

Theclosetpagan Sun 09-Sep-07 13:00:47

My sympathies mlf. My DS was exactly the same and I wanted to scream every time I heard the "formula helps them sleep" crap as well. I also wanted to poke in the eye every smug mother at baby clinic who couldn't wait to tell me that her 6, 8, 10, 12 week old was sleeping through the night.

You're not doing anything wrong - I think what you're doing is right in trying to reduce the number of feeds at night. It might even be worth reducing the amount by half an ounce a time to wean her off it gradually.

olivo Sun 09-Sep-07 20:10:41

i too can sympathise mylittlefreya. my dd is now 12 months and has slept through a handful of times. i got fed up of the 'it must be awful' from friends whose babies slept through so quickly. i bf for 7 months and so happily blamed it on that but formula made no difference - i just change the subject when sleep comes up!
you're not doing anything wrong but i also agree that dropping the feed ounce by onuce may work - this worked for us at about 9 mo, by the time we got down to 3 oz or so, she didnt bother. her waking and feeding now is down to me wanting a sleep in but thats another whole story!
good luck, i know how hard it is.

spinspinsugar Sun 09-Sep-07 20:22:46

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ImBarryScott Sun 09-Sep-07 20:26:19

That formula thing is such a myth. 6 month DD has slept through once (not recently, mind!) despite guzzling ounces and ounces of the stuff. Still on one night feed too!

mylittlefreya Sun 09-Sep-07 20:44:01

It's good to hear other people say it, thank you. Not that I'm not glad for people whose children do sleep well on formula - I am - just sometimes you get so tired that you get a bit of sense of humour failure. It doesn't help that I still carry some not-BF guilt too.
The extra wakings are driving me crackers - we've just moved her into her own room, maybe I will have to reverse that.

Obviously I am not glad that there are other formula fed babies waking, but thank you for the assurances that I/ we are not alone.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now