Talk

Advanced search

Sleepyhead? Pillow? Worried about safety

(3 Posts)
Moonshine160 Thu 27-Feb-20 10:32:04

Hi all. My DS is 1 in two weeks time. We have tried and failed numerous times to get him to sleep just on a mattress either in his crib during the earlier days, or in his cot. He’s always liked to feel snuggled against something. When he was a few weeks old we bought him a Sleepyhead, I know there is lots of conflicting advice regarding the safety but as he would only sleep on our chests we felt the Sleepyhead was the safer alternative! He settled in it really well and we ended up buying the Sleepyhead Grand when he was 8 months old. I’ve recently tried and failed again to wean him out of it - it’s become his comforter. The problem we’ve got is that he’s going to the childminder as of next week so I really would like to get him out of it, we are also going abroad soon and we aren’t able to take the Sleepyhead as it’s huge. We’ve tried him with a toddler pillow but he just shimmies off it and then starts crying. So today I’ve tried him with a bigger pillow and he’s settled straight away. it’s an adult sized pillow but is very, very flat. I’m worried about how safe using a larger pillow is as opposed to a toddler pillow? And also that pillows are only recommended from 1 year old and he’s two weeks away yet. I want him to have good settled sleep but I don’t want to do anything that’s unsafe! He can’t crawl yet but can sit, roll around, bum shuffle. What are your thoughts?

Snowflake9 Thu 27-Feb-20 10:40:37

If he's only 2 weeks off of 1yo then I don't see an issue with it. Whatever gets him to sleep.

NotSoThinLizzy Thu 27-Feb-20 12:45:42

They can have a pillow from 1. So I say just give him the pillow and see how you get on

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »