Talk

Advanced search

4 month regression and losing my rag

(8 Posts)
munchymoo Tue 25-Feb-20 09:22:38

DS2 is nearly 5 months, EBF, and sleep currently is bad. I don’t know whether I should call it a regression as he’s woken every 2 hours since birth so we’ve never had a longer stretch, but now he’s waking every hour and generally I can only settle with boob even though he’s not hungry.

Problem is he has some reflux so every time I give him the boob I then have to hold him upright. Lately he’s stopped falling asleep on the boob so now he feeds and then I have to get up and rock him to sleep, each time, through the night.

The last few nights by 4am I’ve just lost my sh*t and had to pass him off to DH and have stormed off to spare room in a rage and cried. I feel like such a failure.

Please can anyone help me with tips on keeping my calm? I know it’s just a phase but I’m struggling so much with the cumulative long term sleep deprivation. I find it really hard to nap in day and have a DS1 so it’s not always possible. I go to bed early and DH has him until 11.30/12 but I’m still losing it.

munchymoo Tue 25-Feb-20 16:51:51

Anyone?

ReginaPhalangeee Tue 25-Feb-20 16:53:17

I don't have any advice, but didn't want to read and run. Sleep deprivation is the actual worst, sending a hug x

FeeFee832 Thu 27-Feb-20 07:46:40

Going through the same. Tried everything

FeeFee832 Thu 27-Feb-20 07:46:51

sad

MellowMelly Sat 29-Feb-20 10:21:02

Each sleep regression stage is far from fun. My daughter and grand daughter (now 2 years old) live with me so I’ve been through it again with her at each stage.

Firstly you’re not a failure. Sleep regression is just a nightmare for parents. The only positive to take from this situation is it’s only temporary and is a good sign that your babies development is on track so you need to do what you need to do to get through this stage. With my Granddaughter each regression lasted a few weeks and then she’d settle again. She also was a cat napper, she woke every two hours and her daytime sleep was literally 20 minutes and then awake so my daughter never got a chance to nap.

As you’re breastfeeding it’s really hard for others to help. My daughter got her little one onto anti reflux bottles at night so we could help out more. Her little one struggled with reflux too so I understand that you need to keep your little one upright for a little while after feeding so that just deprives you more of sleep. The only suggestion I can make is pumping milk off and bottle feeding at night so maybe your husband can relieve you here and there so you can get longer blocks of sleep yourself? I don’t know his working situation but that’s my only suggestion I can offer right now (or carry on as you are but know this stage will pass).

mmmammma Sat 29-Feb-20 10:58:07

So sorry you are struggling! It is really rough isn't it?! I had the same with my first and now again with my second. (Also 4 months) Unfortunately I don't have any advice really, but just wanted to let you know that you are not alone. Try to be kind to yourself, I was feeling so bad about myself because I lost my temper at DH twice last night, but it is hard keeping it together when you are so sleep deprived! Could your partner help more on the weekend so that you could get a bit of sleep? I had an extra two hours this morning and feel so much better after.

popgoesperfection Sat 29-Feb-20 23:21:32

No advice but sending hugs. Sleep deprivation is torture, my first was a terrible sleeper and I lost my shit so many times, especially in the night when the whole world seems to be asleep and good stood there in the dark rocking baby .. again. And I would take it out on dp like it was his fault, it wasn't but I was just so tired. It will get better and finding it difficult sometimes is completely normal in my opinion, your doing great op!!!! thanks

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »