Talk

Advanced search

How much broken sleep do you get?

(20 Posts)
Kate3150 Sat 22-Feb-20 08:05:56

My darling boy is nearly 11 weeks now. I find my sleep is getting worse as he’s getting better 😩.
I must wake every couple of hours with his noises and he often cries in his sleep. Anyone else the same? She asks whilst trying to hold help up writing this 😂

Kate3150 Sat 22-Feb-20 08:06:15

**hold head- I was bound to make a spelling error lol

Kate3150 Sat 22-Feb-20 16:26:31

Anyone? X

Hope06 Sat 22-Feb-20 16:59:10

My 15 day old sleeps pretty well but I wake at almost every noise she makes, so I probably sleep for an hour at a time maybe a bit longer sometimes

munchymoo Sat 22-Feb-20 18:57:17

I often spend the entire night awake or very lightly asleep and wake every 10 minutes or so with any noise! It’s horrible!!! Only way I can cope is to get DH to take him until midnight and I go to bed at 9pm with earplugs in spare room! He’ll either give him a bottle of expressed milk if he needs it or bring him to me to feed and takes him away again. I also sleep again on my own from around 6-7am. I find it super hard to sleep with or next to baby hence why I’m awake most of the night. You’re not alone xx

orangejuicer Sat 22-Feb-20 19:10:27

15mo wakes up twice a night minimum.

Spanneroo Sat 22-Feb-20 19:16:54

11 week old twins and I get an hour asleep and an hour awake all night (one is very slow to get down after a feed). I drop off very quickly these days (DCs 3&4 so I'm well practiced) but I wake up whenever 1 of 4 children coughs/mumbles in their sleep etc. At the moment with it being cold season, that means I'd define 'sleep' as 'lying down with my eyes closed' grin

It is absolutely exhausting, but I see no alternative but to just keep going.

Gillian1980 Sat 22-Feb-20 19:25:52

9 month old wakes every hour. Takes him minutes to go back to sleep but takes me ages each time 😭

Cornishmumofone Sat 22-Feb-20 19:37:34

I'm in bed 11-6 and am usually woken 3-4 times in that period by my 3.5 year old. She woke me every 90 minutes for a long time 😢

Kate3150 Sat 22-Feb-20 19:41:23

Thanks for all your replies.
I don’t have any other new mums to talk to so it’s such a relief to know I’m not alone.
I worry about my sleep which I know sounds crazy as having newborn obviously disrupts it.
I just worry I’m becoming a lighter and lighter sleeper but I suppose that goes hand in hand with being a Mum x

Kate3150 Mon 24-Feb-20 18:49:41

@Spanneroo- Do you manage to get much rest in the day? You sound like a super Mum!!! Xx

PopcornAndWine Mon 24-Feb-20 19:00:53

I started my own thread on a similar topic earlier! Nearly 7 month old typically wakes twice a night but I am now finding I just cannot drop off before she wakes for the first time. It's very frustrating as she does a good stretch at the start of the night now so I should be able to get a decent block of sleep then but I just can't! Last night she didn't wake until gone 2 but I was awake sad Think I'm probably averaging about 5 hours of broken sleep a night in total. I can function on a day to day basis on that but it catches up with me after a few days.

Kate3150 Mon 24-Feb-20 19:08:00

@PopcornAndWine- it’s so frustrating isn’t it...
Last night my little one did a four hour stretch... was up for 20mins maybe feeding then back down. But I was pretty much awake for 3 hours thinking about the next feed 😩...
I’m surviving on a similar amount of sleep.. I’ve expressed 3 bottles so Hubby will do some of the night waking tonight.
I’m a ten hour a night girl usually so I’m struggling x

PopcornAndWine Mon 24-Feb-20 19:27:00

@kate350 you are lucky you can express that much, I never could! She will take bottles of formula now but to be honest it's so much easier to stick her on the boob at 3 in the morning than mess about making them up! Good luck, hope it improves for you soon x

Kate3150 Mon 24-Feb-20 19:33:04

@PopcornAndWine- to be honest I never used to be able to collect that much either but I spent a small fortune on the elvie pump and it’s transformed things for me. I can pump a bottle in about ten mins in the morning. It used to take me an hour with old pump. I do have formula in the cupboard just incase. When did you introduce formula? X

lljkk Mon 24-Feb-20 20:01:08

I have cats & teenagers. Sleep and I are not on close terms.

Kate3150 Mon 24-Feb-20 20:03:00

@ lljkk- oh nooo!!! It still doesn’t improve by the time they’re teenagers 😩. I keep hassling my Husband to get me a kitten, not so sure now x

PopcornAndWine Mon 24-Feb-20 20:08:06

@kate3150 I started giving her a bottle of formula in the evenings at about 4 months to see if it helped her settle quicker - I think it did although may have been just coincidence she started settling better at that time. Not sure it's still having that effect but want to keep giving her bottles to prepare for when I have to wind down the breastfeeding when I go back to work. Also so that DH and others besides me can feed her.

LoisLittsLover Mon 24-Feb-20 20:09:17

A weighted blanket has helped me sleep much more soundly when dd obliges (10 weeks old)

Spanneroo Tue 25-Feb-20 14:34:42

@kate3150 nope! I have a 2yo and just turned 5yo so life is like a tornado tbh. I have a quiet day just with the babies on a sat/sun where I basically do nothing but chill out and feed them when needed, which helps. I am mostly fuelled by adrenaline and caffeine, I think!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »