Talk

Advanced search

Newborn won’t sleep anywhere but on me!

(17 Posts)
Willow4987 Tue 18-Feb-20 08:15:17

DS2 is only 4 days old, first day in hospital would sleep in the little cot thing they give you

Since being home he won’t sleep in his Moses basket or next to me crib

I managed to get him to sleep in there for about 30 mins last night and resorted to letting him sleep on my chest instead

I’ve had a c section so his bed isn’t as close to ours as it would be when I’m healed so I can’t settle/comfort him when he’s in it at the moment

Does anyone have any advice for what I can do!?

I know it’s probably just a phase etc but not sure how to help him transition to the crib when he’s ready. DS1 wasn’t like this and went into it straight away

123bananas Tue 18-Feb-20 08:19:01

Put the crib sheet down your top or sleep with it before you put it in so it will smell of you and help him settle.

You can also warm the sheet with a hot water bottle and take it out before putting him down in the crib so the cold sheet doesn't startle him awake.

Willow4987 Tue 18-Feb-20 19:47:23

I’ve put one of my pj tops on the sheet to try and encourage the smell association

I’ll give the hot water bottle trick a go as well!

mummyofbabyward Wed 19-Feb-20 18:30:37

I had a c-section with my little girl now 5 months old. I have been threw exactly the same, in hospital she slept in the little crib but when she was newborn would only sleep on my chest or other peoples chests. She would never go down In her Moses basket or crib. I kind of gave in and let her sleep on me and still do sometimes, I tried everything! But I do secretly love the cuddles on a night! smile

BeingATwatItsABingThing Wed 19-Feb-20 18:33:45

My DD slept on my chest for months. She’d sleep on DH and my DM too but not as well as she did for me.

She’s 6 now and sleeps most nights in her own bed. She still likes a cuddle though.

Yorkshiredolls Fri 21-Feb-20 18:01:53

I don’t have any advice for you as i’m in exactly the same boat! we’re day ten today and find that after the first BF of the night my son will go down in his next to me. but subsequent feeds after that you can forget it! at the moment i’m co sleeping and just about getting by with that. Figured out how to breastfeed on my side and we fell asleep together feeding which was quite nice. Baby sleeps happily all day in sleepyhead but at night, forget it! tried swaddling, hot water bottle, stinky old vest in cot, ewan the dream sheep on repeat. my first was like this for a couple of days but I can’t for the life of me remember when it changed or how. So I Just want you to know you’re not alone x

WombatStewForTea Fri 21-Feb-20 18:46:47

I posted about this the other week. My dd is almost 3 weeks now. The first week she would only sleep on someone. When she hit a week old she started to sleep in her Moses basket in her next2me for short periods in the night.
I found using a 'love to dream swaddle up' has really helped

Ghostlyfeet Fri 21-Feb-20 18:54:06

I had this with my daughter. I thought I was never going to get to sleep again!!! Eventually we found this worked- putting my daughter in the Moses basket with a T-shirt of mine over the mattress, warmed by a hot water bottle, and with towels rolled up around the sides to make her feel more cosy. The Moses basket was too big. We also used a white noise app of a heartbeat.

Willow4987 Fri 21-Feb-20 19:03:47

Thanks everyone! I’m trying the t shirt in the bed trick and now I’m feeling a bit better it’s been attached to the bed so I can get to him easier to resettle etc

DS1 wasn’t like this so it’s been a bit of a shock but every night he gets a bit better. so far he’s managed to go in the Chicco bed but waking every hour initially, now every 2 hours so fingers crossed he keeps getting better every night

munchymoo Sat 22-Feb-20 19:00:24

Totally normal! Read up on 4th trimester... it won’t be for long xxx

April45 Tue 25-Feb-20 22:06:33

Swaddle

loveroflife2003 Wed 26-Feb-20 02:37:09

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

LazyYogi Wed 26-Feb-20 03:21:58

Do you use white noise? Cbeebies radio do different sleep sounds every night. DS is very sound orientated and the hairdryer, wave sounds or general background goings on (like in a hospital) sends him straight off to sleep. Might be worth a try. It needs to be louder than you think. I start louder than his cry and reduce it once he quietens. You can get ones on YouTube with a heartbeat sound like in the womb too.

N12345625 Wed 26-Feb-20 08:14:36

I know this probably doesn't help, but I was the exact same (c section too). I finally got my daughter in the next to me when she was around 4 months, and at 5 months she was asleep in her own cot (in her room) for all the naps and at night. Not much advice, but it does get easier!!

ewms19 Wed 26-Feb-20 08:48:40

I am so pleased i found this post so i know im not on my own in this!! My son (4 days old) is exactly the same, he will not sleep unless he is on or next to someone. I'm absolutely terrified through the night incase i fall alseep while soothing him and accidentally suffocate him. The midwifes always say 'don't do this, dont do that' 'nothing else in the crib/basket except blanket tightly wrapped and tucked etc' it's all scared the besjeezus out of me! (First baby if you hadnt already guessed!! Lol)
I have no idea how to get him to sleep in his crib! I've also tried Ewan the sheep for the first time last night but he didn't seem bothered about that at all, all he wants his mummy or daddy cuddles!

mistermagpie Wed 26-Feb-20 08:52:37

My daughter was exactly the same. I literally sat up all night with her, it was awful! Although she is my last baby so I actually tried to cherish those moments, which sounds twee but honestly these days go so fast.

Now she's 14 weeks and naps in a sling, which we both love, and she co-sleeps with me. I didn't intend to do either of those things, never co-slept with either of my other children, but it's working for us and I do enjoy the closeness.

Sling is a lifesaver for during the day with a clingy baby, get one if you don't have one. I just use the free one from the baby box (Scotland) so it's nice and basic. Hang in there with the night but co-sleeping safely is probably the answer.

Willow4987 Wed 26-Feb-20 12:37:20

Well he’s finally coming round to his next to me bed! Spends most of the night in there now and only comes in for cuddles to resettle. Daytime is another matter but I’ve got a sling for that (when I can use it)

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »