Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

bedtime songs

(14 Posts)
Emzy5 Sat 01-Sep-07 20:31:14

hey,

just posted this somewhere else, then found the sleep section... d'oh!

my ds is 10 weeks old and my friend, just had a dd, gave me a copy of a cd (used to be on vynil) called 'all aboard'. it's full of old kids songs like teddy bears picnic and nellie th elephant. i was listening to it with my ds and track 22 is a song called 'morning town ride'. coincidently my dad used to sing it to me and my bro and sis when we were little. he passed away 1 and a half years ago. i don't really believe in afterlife but hearing that made me feel close to him. now i try and play it or sing it to ds when i can so it becomes part of him too.

do any of you have special songs with your dc? if not please can i recommend train whstle blowing?

click here to go to the song

conkertree Mon 03-Sep-07 07:47:50

i'd forgotten that song but i used to listen to it when i was wee too - will try singing it to lo today.

My favourite song to sing to him (he's 4 weeks old tomorrow) is Oklahoma as I used to sing it most days in the shower when i was pregnant.

He also calms down to Horsey Horsey dont you stop.

My nephew (2 1/2) immediately stops crying if you sing him Goodnight Sweetheart - possibly cause it was sung to him right from birth, so am trying to build up the same thing with my lo.

Emzy5 Mon 03-Sep-07 19:04:20

ah bless music is so important. how does horsey horsey go?

conkertree Tue 04-Sep-07 16:57:14

its

horsey horsey dont you stop,
just let the feet go clippety clop
tail go swish and the wheels go round
giddey up, we're homeward bound.

didnt use to like it all that much but its the one that ds seems to enjoy most.

southeastastra Tue 04-Sep-07 17:00:31

my mum used to sing:

go to sleep my baby
close your sleepy eyes
angels are looking at you (insert name) down from the skies
great big moon is shining
stars begin to peep
and it's time little babies were fast asleep

ahh

Emzy5 Tue 04-Sep-07 19:44:13

i like them both too. there's something nice about bedtime rhymes and bedtime phrases. my mum always said "good night sleep tight, don't let the ned bugs bite!" weird but good

MrsBadger Tue 04-Sep-07 19:47:12

oh this takes me back
vintage thread here

southeastastra Tue 04-Sep-07 19:55:51

i'm lost it's a weightwatchers thread grin though very long maybe i'm missing something

Emzy5 Tue 04-Sep-07 20:00:33

also that should have read "...bed bugs bite." not ned bugs. although they may have been called ned, i never asked.

MrsBadger Tue 04-Sep-07 21:24:46

damn damn damnly damn
here
how embarrassing

Emzy5 Thu 06-Sep-07 11:57:06

thanks mrs b :O

def more useful than the ww stuff!

HonorMatopoeia Fri 07-Sep-07 21:03:49

Ahhhhh smile Morningtown Ride - I love that song. Used to sing it with my Mum and Dad when we were a family touring folksy type trio (odd but true!!!!).
I have Lula, Lula bye bye and Hush here comes the sandman for Dd. We have to sing them every night.

littlelapin Fri 07-Sep-07 21:06:19

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Habbibu Fri 07-Sep-07 21:19:51

Moon River. Don't know why, but she loves it. My mum used to say (not sing):

Good night and god bless you

May the angels undress you

(quickly) And the Devil run away with your clothes!

It's a wonder I ever slept...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now