Talk

Advanced search

Daytime Sleep: 6 wk old

(17 Posts)
Catz Fri 31-Aug-07 12:14:36

Is it a problem for my 6 wk old to have most of her daytime sleep in a sling/baby carrier?

At night she's absolutely fine in her crib by our bed. I feed her at 10/11 with the lights low and she'll go down without a problem. She'll wake up at 4/5 and again at 6/7 but she'll go back down easily and even when she wakes to feed she just makes 'ah' noises but doesn't cry - all fantastic.

I think someone swaps babies during the day because she's a nightmare. Becomes hysterical when put down flat even for a moment - full on red face, screaming, arms in the air. i've tried her in her crib, her pram, our bed (with me next to her) putting her down when she's yawning, when she's not, in the dark, in the light etc etc. She'll sometimes drop off in her bouncy chair but if I put her in a sling or cuddle her she goes to sleep really easily. I can occasionally sneak her into her pram at this point but she usually wakes up. Today I'm just letting her sleep in the sling so I can get things done but I'm worried that this is storing up problems for the future and might not be good for her (at the moment she's in a Baby Bijorn). Is this a problem and if so what can I do?!?

ChubbyScotsBurd Fri 31-Aug-07 12:19:28

I think we posted at the same time with similar problems - so I can't help but you have my sympathies and if you decide you want to swap babies so we get a change (apparently it's as good as a rest!) then let me know! grin

Mumpbump Fri 31-Aug-07 12:25:32

Sounds exactly like ds. I don't think it's a problem unless it's causing you difficulties. I went with it for a couple of months and then tried controlled comforting - you swaddle them, lay them down on their side in their cot, facing away from you so you don't make eye contact, and pat them to reassure them. They will cry, but know that you're there. If they're still upset after 15 minutes, pick them up, calm them down and then start over. Very stressful, but it did work in the end although ds still cries before his daytime nap now at 18 months...

The main reason I did it was because it was killing my back to carry him around in order to get him off to sleep, otherwise, probably wouldn't have bothered for a bit longer.

kiskidee Fri 31-Aug-07 12:30:08

if she will sleep in a sling then let her sleep in a sling. It is such a precious and fleeting time. I wish i didn't stress out about her sleep when my dd was tiny and let her sleep where she wanted - on me.

these things are developmental. give her the cuddles she needs now and in time, she will go down on her own easier.

however, BabyBjorn slings are not the best designed, ergonomically, for the baby or the carer. It lets their little legs dangle in a way that is not natural for small babies.

You would be better off with a Mei Tai like a Kozy, a wrap sling like a hugabub or didymos, or an Ergo. they will all last longer than a babybjorn and be better for you and your baby.

kiskidee Fri 31-Aug-07 12:31:36

i guess i should have ended my first sentence with "... if you are happy to do that." as others will have differing opinions on what is 'best' or 'easiest'.

Catz Fri 31-Aug-07 12:38:09

Thanks for the replies that's reassuring - yes I'd heard mutterings about baby bijorn but wasn't sure what the problem was (which is why I put it in my post!). Someone kindly gave us there old one but I've been looking in a bewildered way at all the posts and sites on types of sling as, if I’m going to keep doing this, I guess I need a better one. A few of my friends have a Kari-me so I might just plump for that as I’ve tried it and you can use lots of different positions –any horror stories about them?!

Mumpbump Fri 31-Aug-07 12:39:31

I had a Kari-me sling and I think they're fab. Lent it to a friend of mine who never used the sling her work place had given her as a leaving present. She is sending it back to me to use for no. 2!! Can't recommend them enough. Plus soft slings are meant to be better for mother/baby bonding...

kiskidee Fri 31-Aug-07 12:47:04

no, Kari-me is a very good one. I think it is made from a stretchy jersey type cotton which is excellent for the tiny stage. The stretchiness helps you to pop them in and out without dismantling the whole wrap which can feel daunting i suppose when you have a small baby, a first time mum and never wrapped before. Hugabub is also stretchy like this. Another stretchy one is called Calin Bleu.

the downside of the stretchy ones is that if you have a heffalump (my term of endearment for a chunky baby) by 12 months, it is too stretchy to keep wrapping in them. Non stretchy ones will happily last till they are 4 yo if they aren't ginormous.

kiskidee Fri 31-Aug-07 12:56:08

Catz, if you are interested in a wrap sling, i have a v. good friend who is selling some top quality wrap slings on ebay (2nd hand) at the moment. they all come with instructional dvd's. none of them are the stretchy variety but she's used all of them to wrap her two, now 3 yo and 5 yo. She has too many (over 30) and will happily help I choose the right one for you.

Alternatively, I have an Ergo with an infant insert which I am also selling. It is very DH friendly as wrap slings may not be.

I don't want you to think i only responded to your post to flog you stuff. blush I am a bit sling mad and always have a soft spot for new mums stressing out as i had a really difficult time when dd was tiny and had no one nearby to help out. dh was working away in scotland and all my relatives live either abroad and dh's live at least 1.5 hrs away.

MegBusset Fri 31-Aug-07 15:19:48

<hijack> Kiskidee, if Catz does not want your Ergo, I may be interested in it... so will check this thread in case she doesn't want it.

kiskidee Fri 31-Aug-07 15:21:46

thanks Meg, i will keep checking too. it is sitting here idly for a while now and would rather someone get some use out of it.

Catz Fri 31-Aug-07 16:09:26

thanks for the offer kiskidee but I decided to go ahead and order the kari-me after reading your other post. glad megbusset is interested. I've a feeling I might become a slingaholic too...!

MegBusset Fri 31-Aug-07 19:43:42

Kiskidee pls can you email me at mogbasket @ hotmail . com (without spaces obv!!) and let me know how much you are asking for the Ergo? ta!

kiskidee Fri 31-Aug-07 19:59:10

no probs catz. if you do feel like it is becoming a problem, we can bond in our addiction.

kiskidee Fri 31-Aug-07 19:59:25

emailed you Meg.

mumnew Mon 03-Sep-07 09:55:29

Hi kiskidee, was looking for 2nd hand Ergo infant insert and chanced upon this thread. Mind to check if you would consider selling just the infant insert? If yes, can know what's the color of the insert you have and the price you're selling? And any idea how much is the shipping fees to Singapore? Or alternatively can get my friend in States to help me post it back. Can email me at mumnew @ gmail.com (without spaces) . Thanks

Cheers,
Shwan's mum

kiskidee Tue 04-Sep-07 01:39:26

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now