Talk

Advanced search

nearly 10 month old started waking in middle of night again - could he be hungry?

(9 Posts)
cheritongirl Thu 30-Aug-07 12:33:43

my ds is nearly 10 mo and has been sleeping really well all through the night til about 6am since about 8 weeks (i know i am v lucky!) but the last couple of weeks he has woken at 3 - 5am and just howled so i have fed him (bf) but he is totally wide awake and won't settle until he has been up and played for at least an hour - honestly i have tried everything to re-settle him so this is my last resort. But then he'll go back to sleep about 6am for an hour or 2 - but i could really do with him having that sleep in the night! Could he be having a growth spurt? Or does he just think its fun to be up at that time?!
He eats 3 good sized homemade meals a day plus snacks...
Any ideas?? thanks!

inkstigmata Thu 30-Aug-07 13:03:36

Is there a daytime nap in there that should be shortened?

cheritongirl Thu 30-Aug-07 13:40:11

he has a 1 - 1.5 hour nap in the morning and about 45 mins mid afternoon and is usually shattered by bedtime (about 7pm)... should i shorten either of them? thanks!

inkstigmata Thu 30-Aug-07 13:47:10

No that sounds about right (compared to my experience) although it might be better if the big nap was middle of the day (I bet you can't change that now and don't want to risk blowing the nap schedule totally . . .) Do you still do a (big) BF before bedtime?

Tapster Thu 30-Aug-07 16:12:01

teeth?

stealthsquiggle Thu 30-Aug-07 16:16:22

I'm thinking teeth as well - my 10.5mth DD has done this a few times lately although being hard hearted and knackered I have taken to ignoring her for 5 mins - 9 times out of 10 she goes back to sleep on her own - otherwise, like the OP, she is up and at 'em and wants to play and I just don't do 3-5am!!

cheritongirl Thu 30-Aug-07 22:05:28

thanks people - dont think its teeth as he has just gotten 4 and i know what he is like with that. And i do give him a big bf before bed. Think we might just have to ride this one out!

stealthsquiggle Fri 31-Aug-07 12:28:46

Cheriton I ended up taking DD into bed with me at 3am last night at which point she settled straight away hmm

cheritongirl Sat 01-Sep-07 22:31:52

have tried dreamfeeding him the last couple of nights and it has worked! Well averaging a 6am wakeup which is more civilised at least..
bit worried he will get into a pattern of expecting this (just when i want to give up bf) but then i would rather get some sleep..
wish he would sleep in bed with us like yours did SS but he hates being in bed with us! grin

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: