Talk

Advanced search

Anyone moved a 16 month old to a toddler bed?

(8 Posts)
mumtodd Fri 24-Aug-07 13:31:16

Hi, my dd is nearly 16 months old and we have been co-sleeping until now. As she is getting bigger none of us are sleeping as well as we used to and also I think we are disturbing her when we go to bed at night. We have a room ready for her and we took the sides off the cotbed and have it as a really low bed now. She has been walking for a couple of months now and can climb in and out of the bed quite easily so I am thinking of moving her in there soon. Has anyone else moved a child this young to a toddler bed and how did it go? We have a safety rail for the side but it is a bit awkward as the bed is so long it will not drop down properly. Is it necessary to use the safety rail if the bed is only a couple of inches high?

TheArmadillo Fri 24-Aug-07 13:32:38

If the bed is only a couple of inches of the floor then no need to use a safety rail.

I moved ds at about 10 months. He was only a couple of inches off the floor. He fell out a couple of times but was so low he stayed asleep.

Should be fine.

melpomene Fri 24-Aug-07 13:37:08

My dd1 went into a toddler bed when she was about that age. There was a safety rail built into the bed but she still managed to fall out a couple of times. We just put pillows on the floor alongside the bed to cushion her fall, and she was fine after that.

aquababe Fri 24-Aug-07 13:38:07

We moved our dd when she was about the same age. For the first while we had the saftey rail and a futon matress (and lots of cushions)poking out from under the bed as we were worried she might go over.
we tried to remove it once but had to go flying in as there was the most horrible thud as she rolled out of bed off the futon and onto the floor. Needless to say its back on. we have it positioned at the top with a gap about 40 cm at the end so she happily climbs out.
we also used baby sleeping bags for the first while to keep her in her bed but now just let her runs about(she's20moonths now)
we had problems securing the saftey rail, which were solved by cable ties

hth.

Biglips Fri 24-Aug-07 13:39:52

yep go for it!. My dd got a cotbed and i didnt bother with the safety rail as its only a few ins off the floor. She had fallen out of it once a few weeks ago now.

aquababe Fri 24-Aug-07 13:40:16

oh and never both with the drop down feature. as theres room at the end for her to climb in and out.

nailpolish Fri 24-Aug-07 13:40:46

both my dds went into a proper single bed at 18mths

(ive always thought toddler beds were a rip-off)

you could get a bed guard if you ar worried, pillows on the floor aare fine too
they only fall out a couple of times anyway

aquababe Fri 24-Aug-07 13:40:57

both was meant to be bothered

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: