Talk

Advanced search

4 week old fights sleep and unsettled

(13 Posts)
TiredParents1 Fri 08-Nov-19 13:24:23

My 4 week old son won't settle. Swaddle sometimes works, Myhummybear sometimes works. Dummy sometimes works. The past 3 days he's been terribly unsettled. Won't sleep in the day or the night unless it's in the car seat. Very hard to settle him at night unless he's in our bed and even that only works half the time.

Any suggestions? I had typed a much more in-depth post but it won't let me post it.

goadyficker Fri 08-Nov-19 13:26:11

Sling.

It's the only thing which worked with mine. A sling library if you can get to one, will sort you out.

If not, an NCT close caboo will do

TiredParents1 Fri 08-Nov-19 13:26:31

Tried infacol and the doctor suspects wind issues. That did almost nothing. He's currently on gaviscon for reflux but still brings some up, early days yet as he only started it last night

goadyficker Fri 08-Nov-19 13:27:51

Infacol is shite.

Gripe water is better.

Baby massage for wind can help

TiredParents1 Fri 08-Nov-19 13:29:53

What do you mean by NCT close caboo? Does that mean he needs to be attached constantly? I'll have a Google. FAB people also suspect growth spurt coupled with reflux.

He's so hard to get to sleep, just fights it by grabbing his face and literally peddling his legs constantly as though he's riding a bike whilst grunting and crying. He does not like sleeping at all

Snowflake9 Fri 08-Nov-19 13:31:13

Sounds like my baby! If it's wind. I have tried infacol and gaviscon. Is your baby crying?

If so, lay them on their back on the bed, hold both their feet together and rock and roll up and over the belly a few times. Bounce the legs into the hips and rub belly down.

I also have the baby sleep app on my phone and have white noise playing all night. It certainly settles him.

Just remember it's all only temporary!

Snowflake9 Fri 08-Nov-19 13:32:51

I find holding my baby over my shoulder and bouncing gently really helps with his wind. The traditional winding methods do not work for him x

TiredParents1 Fri 08-Nov-19 13:40:30

We have a Myhummybear and it works sometimes but not if he's wound up, seems to work better in the day.

Calming him can be a real chore when he gets going, he gets very overtired and it's so difficult to settle him.

Then when he's just drifting off to sleep he'll raise hell to stay awake, grunt, cry, kick, scream etc.

Snowflake9 Fri 08-Nov-19 13:50:33

Sounds like wind... Does he like the bath? Maybe try and have him in the bath in the evening and allow him to kick about. It will also relax his bottom a bit to ease out any constipation or wind.

But the only thing I found that works when he is settled then wakes up kicking, crying and screaming is to lay him down and rock his legs up over his hips. He farts loads!!

TiredParents1 Fri 08-Nov-19 14:34:05

He is windy, but I don't think his restlessness is caused by the wind.

He gets overtired then refuses to sleep, then starts peddling his legs, this seems like an overtired issue but the problem is, he refuses to sleep! I think maybe he's just very curious and doesn't wanna miss anything.

Doesn't help us at night though!

NameChange30 Fri 08-Nov-19 14:38:11

A lot of newborns have wind and reflux, but I just wanted to mention CMPA just in case that could be causing an issue.
www.allergyuk.org/information-and-advice/conditions-and-symptoms/469-cows-milk-allergy

If it's not CMPA you just need to relieve his wind and reflux as best you can, and keep him upright (eg in a sling as PP suggested) or angle the sleeping surface, eg you can get wedges for Moses baskets and many bedside cribs can be tilted.

user1480880826 Fri 08-Nov-19 14:57:48

It sounds like he’s uncomfortable. He’s not sleeping because he’s in pain. Infacol is garbage and doesn’t do anything.

Google CMPA symptoms and see if he has any of them other than digestive issues.

Snowflake9 Fri 08-Nov-19 15:23:25

Do you keep the room dark? We have a grolight night light, and it does help to settle him also.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »