Talk

Advanced search

1 year old waking at 4.30amish - could this be separation anxiety?

(10 Posts)
TheGoddessBlossom Thu 16-Aug-07 19:38:53

He goes to sleep like a dream - sleeps solidly - till about 4am.

I go in when I am sure he is not going off again - I don't turn the light on, talk to him, or give him milk, just pick him up for a cuddle, he screams and thrashes about, then calms down and nuzzles in. I put him back down and he will just maon and shout and sing and bang about until I give up at about 6am or he wakes his 3 year old brother up and we all troop downstairs.

Why is he waking up? Is it teeth do you think? I sometimes in desparation give him Medised to attempt to get him to fall back to sleep, but I can't drug him back to sleep every morning!

It's stopping us stay at other people's houses at family occasions cos I don't want the whole house up at 4am, but more to the point I am bloody shattered!

I'm wondering if it is anything to do with separation anxiety, ie, he goes through a light sleep period and realises I'm not there, and wakes up to get me in there....

AAARRRGGHHH. I already know none of you will know the answer, but posting on the off chance of some pearls of wisdom.

Thanks.

Blossom.

x

tribpot Thu 16-Aug-07 19:55:00

I think: it just happens. And god, it is absolutely awful. Don't know if it's separation anxiety but I suspect not, as my ds was doing it at this age, despite me co-sleeping.

You could try co-sleeping to see if it might help, I guess?

TheGoddessBlossom Thu 16-Aug-07 20:00:33

hhmmm, I would Trib if I had ever slept alongside him and I knew it would get him back off, but I never have and I know he would think it was playtime if I brought him into our bed esepcially as our room is 55 times lighter than his....

it's so annoying isn't it - you get told not to develop or encourage sleep props like cuddling themback to sleep, or feeding them back to sleep, and you try to follow the rules, but then you find yourself with no way of getting the back off to sleep if they won't do it themselves! At least if you KNOW a bottle will get them back to sleep you stand a fighting chance of doing so.....

tribpot Thu 16-Aug-07 20:18:54

Well, ds didn't really sleep through until we moved to this house, which was when he was 23 months and I consistently put him in his own room at night. Until then he was still waking in the night for a feed and might - or might not - go back to sleep afterwards. So have you tried feeding your ds, to see if that's what the problem is?

Dabbles Thu 16-Aug-07 20:22:18

have u tried Bonjela?

remember both dds goign through this, a bit of bonjela did the trick!

princessmel Thu 16-Aug-07 20:24:21

Its just one of those awful bits of being a parent.

The 4/5am wake phase.

My 2 have both done it a few times each.

I just try and shorten the day nap a bit. Sometimes it helps...

TheGoddessBlossom Thu 16-Aug-07 21:02:14

yes have tried giving milk he just drinks it and then carrys on as before.

Might try bonjela, although if it was that wouldn't Medised do the same?

Will also shorten day nap, deffo, thanks guys.

Dabbles Thu 16-Aug-07 21:05:43

medised though can cause tummy ache. at elast bonjela straight to site of poain, ahve u looke din outh for signs of teething?

TheGoddessBlossom Thu 16-Aug-07 21:12:26

oooh didn't know that about Medised. Yes he has 6 through, and am looking out for more, could certainly be that.

Yawwn.

misspoppoff Sun 19-Aug-07 13:14:09

We are having a similar problem with our 10 month old he goes down fine (does whinge himself down a bit) but waking up at 4.00 am and then whinges/groans for ages - last night it was an hour and we gave in and gave him a bottle - then he went back to sleep. Have we caused an incredibly persistant baby by letting him whinge then giving him a bottle? Is it teeth? Is it just a phase - all I know is that we are considering sleeping out of earshot as it is wearing us down! Would love some tips to

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: