Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Too much daytime sleep for a 6mo?

(6 Posts)
MegBusset Wed 15-Aug-07 16:03:30

My DS is 6 months next week, was always a crap napper til about a month ago but has just started taking longer (1.5hrs-ish) morning and lunchtime naps. However, he still struggles to stay awake for more than 2 hours, hence today he has had 2 x 1.5hr naps and is currently having a last nap which will prob last half an hour.

So that's 3.5hrs' daytime sleep which seems a lot... he is terrible night sleeper (awake for 90 mins at 3.15am today) so wonder if the naps might be a problem... should I be trying to force him to drop the last nap? (Would mean keeping him awake an extra hour before lunchtime nap and I'm just not sure that's possible.) Or is he likely to drop it himself soon anyway?

ImBarryScott Wed 15-Aug-07 17:26:12

No idea - my DD is a crap sleeper, as well you know. Bumping in the hope that someone wise will be along soon!

ejt1764 Wed 15-Aug-07 17:36:22

this link orthis link should give you some idea... and this link has some great ideas about sleep in general.

my ds (now nearly 5) actually slept better at night if he had good quality naps during the day - it seems counter-intuitive, but it works for a lot of people!

hth

clutteredup Wed 15-Aug-07 17:48:01

my dd, 7 mo, has finally been goingthroughthe night , well almost without a break, but has been going back tosleep without feeding the last 3 or 4 nights. she also seems to be sleeping a lot during the day, in fact i'd say her nights have improved with the sleeping more during the day. i don't know if its a phase growth spurt or what but it seems to work from her. i should enjoy the break during the day and keep your fingers crossed that he gets the whole idea of sleeping and at night too!

clutteredup Wed 15-Aug-07 17:49:28

sorry my post took a while dd has just had an exploding nappy, now think sleeping may be due to tummy bug and not because she loves a well rested mummy

choolie Wed 15-Aug-07 17:57:46

I have read LOADS on this, and hoping for some words from the wise in replies too. I have read that at this age (DS also 6mo nxt wk) they average a total of around 15hrs, including day & night sleeps, so depends what time bedtime is and what time he gets up? Obviously some will still have more and some less, but will give you some kind of idea.

My DS is living proof that babies don't read the books however, - today happily had his morning nap, but only 30mins at lunchtime whilst he fed and another 30 mins 4ish whilst he fed and that's it. He's happily gurgling away now, but I fear it's an over-tired hyper excited gurgle that'll go badly wrong any minute!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now