Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Does a 17 month old still need a daytime nap?

(8 Posts)
fluffyanimal Wed 15-Aug-07 15:03:07

My ds will typically sleep 1.5 hours during the day (late morning to lunchtime), sometimes he would sleep longer if I let him, and I always wake him by 1.30pm. If he slept longer / later than this, I'd never get him into bed.

I take him to bed at 7pm but sometimes it is over an hour before he settles. I don't want to put him to bed later because my dh and I go to bed quite early and we want time to ourselves. Regardless of his bedtime ds tends to wake around 6am. Do you think he still needs the daytime nap, or at least, such a long nap?

nailpolish Wed 15-Aug-07 15:04:22

my nearly 3 yr old still has a nap, but all childnre are different i suppose
try him wihtout and see how it goes, you can always change back
maybe try letting him nap on the couch instead of in bed?
good luck

sundew Wed 15-Aug-07 15:06:41

Both of my dd had daytime naps until they were nearly 3.

Maybe just trying to make the nap shorter in the day (just an hour?).

It's the old adage agin that all children are different - you've just got to do what works best for you and your family

Tutter Wed 15-Aug-07 15:07:49

agree it varies by child

ds1 is 2.3yo and still sleeps for 1.5 hours - would be longer if we let him

growingbagpuss Wed 15-Aug-07 15:10:22

they are all different - my DS is 2.6, wakes between 6-7 every day, when at home sleeps for 2 hours (sometimes more sometimes less) afer lunch, then in bed by 7.30 (7 if tired) -although he's being a pickle right now and often still faffing at 8.

pinkisthatme Wed 15-Aug-07 15:20:35

My 20 mth dd has not slept during the day for a couple of months, sometimes I feel that she could really do with one but when I put her in her cot she really resists it.
Although she's constantly demanding my attention during the day the up side is that she's always in bed by 6pm at the latest & sleeps through to 7-7.30am the next day.
As the others have said I guess you'll just have to try a shorter nap & see what happens good luck!

ChasingSquirrels Wed 15-Aug-07 15:25:41

All kids are different, but most 17mo's would benefit from a nap of around an hour (or more).

My 18mo normally has around 1.5hrs in the middle of the day, but at the CM has about 30 mins and then won't nap when I pick him up at 2pm, and lasts (just about) until bedtime.

My ds1 stopped napping completely at 2y3m, but was leading up to it before that, it was just when we converted his cot-bed and once he could get up he wasn't napping anymore.

squeakybub Wed 15-Aug-07 15:39:59

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now