Talk

Advanced search

Sleeping through the night

(41 Posts)
Hayley2407 Wed 16-Oct-19 14:26:43

When did people babies start sleeping through the night?
My baby boy is 9 weeks old and I know he's probably a long way off!
I was just wondering if it just happens or you have to change their routine?

Gillian1980 Fri 18-Oct-19 18:50:24

Ds is 20 weeks and is currently waking once or twice a night.
Just come out of a month long sleep regression where he woke every 45 mins.
Before that he was waking 2-3 times a night.

When both children sleep through reliably every night I will be in absolute heaven! I’m a right grumpy cow when I’m sleep deprived.

HayleyHaystack Fri 18-Oct-19 16:49:31

@hayley2407 thank you Hayley xx and I hope yours continues. I miss it so much!

Hayley2407 Fri 18-Oct-19 14:26:52

@HayleyHaystack oh no you must be shattered! I hope things pick up for you lovely xx

notmytea Fri 18-Oct-19 14:19:05

Age 4, but under 1 year id actually want them waking at least once as it means SIDS is less likely

firstimemamma Fri 18-Oct-19 14:16:11

Breastfed pfb. First ever did it at 7 months.
7 months to a year - very gradually started doing it more.
1 year onwards - sleeping through every night (obviously except for teething, illness etc).
Didn't do any sleep training. Baby kept close to me lots. Never left to cry. Lots of love and cuddles. He always has been and still is breastfed to sleep every night then placed in cot asleep. Almost every health visitor told me he'd never sleep through if I did this - just goes to show sometimes mummy knows best!

HayleyHaystack Fri 18-Oct-19 14:08:48

We are smack bang in the worst sleep regression. My EBF 14 week old has gone from 6-7 hour stretches at night, to 45 min stretches. He was a good sleeper from 2-3 weeks. Very fussy all evening until 10ish but would then go down. A bad night was a 2am wake up and a typical stretch was 10pm-4am and 5am-8am. Lovely!
However. I got complacent. And it’s all over. He sleeps a few hours in the evening and then we’re up every hour until 5. My advice is to enjoy whatever good stage you’re in!

Pinkblueberry Thu 17-Oct-19 21:00:53

About 10 or 11 months I think.

Hayley2407 Thu 17-Oct-19 20:56:42

Thanks everyone!
I know I've got such a good boy I was just after some advice for the future on whether to just follow his needs or a change of routine was needed to get him sleeping longer 😊
I'm happy doing the night feeds at the moment I enjoy our time together although it's so hard getting up at the time 😂

Celebelly Thu 17-Oct-19 19:34:59

DD went through a phase of sleeping 9pm-6am ish from about 8 weeks. She's 8mo now and occasionally sleeps through from 7-7 but usually wakes for a feed at 4.

You've got a great sleeper OP!

Saltnpepper5 Thu 17-Oct-19 11:32:38

From 8 weeks old my son slept 6 hours straight. Then 8/9 months was just awful. Then he started sleeping around 11 hours from around 10 months. But now at 14 months he's up again 3-5 times I do think it's teething pain also he's very clingy in the day so thinking abit of seperation anxiety.

Gillian1980 Thu 17-Oct-19 11:20:11

Dd was about 3 months when she slept through.

Then we had a 4 month sleep regression, teething, various colds, growth spurts & leaps, separation anxiety..... so many disruptIve periods with periods in between of sleeping well.

Then in toddler / preschool years lots of disruption too. Latest one was when her baby brother arrived as she was feeling unsettled.

Harrysmummy246 Thu 17-Oct-19 09:33:12

Echoing @MustardScreams here

You're very lucky with the stretches you are getting already! It will change though and not always for the better

Shelby30 Thu 17-Oct-19 09:18:46

6/7wks. Stopped waking her for a feed as I thought what am I doing 😳 she still had bad nights now and again but mostly slept through till 7am from about 10/11pm. That stretch for longer and longer where she would sleep in till 9/10am, I loved my mat leave 😂

Due new baby shortly and worry that I am due a terrible sleeper this time 🙈

Talkmedownnow Thu 17-Oct-19 09:11:03

My first slept through from 5 weeks.

My second slept through from 3 months but he could tell the difference between day and night from 3/4 weeks old. I knew this because he wouldn't sleep longer than 20 min naps during the day but would sleep for 3/4/5 hour stretches at night, wake for a bottle and go straight back to sleep.

MustardScreams Thu 17-Oct-19 09:09:51

Oh just read your update - your baby is sleeping through already. 6 unbroken hours is extremely good for a 9 week old. They absolutely do need feeding overnight for a while yet.

I thought you meant you were up 5/6/7 times a night hmm

MustardScreams Thu 17-Oct-19 09:08:12

The thing is with baby sleep it’s not linear. So they may start sleeping through, and then start teething, learning to crawl/walk/talk, have a regression and you’re back to 5 wake ups a night.

Dd reliably slept through from about 2 onwards. She a fab sleeper now, into bed with a book and I won’t hear a peep until 6/7. But the first 2 years were a bloody struggle.

BeanBag7 Thu 17-Oct-19 09:05:47

About 18 months and it happened shortly after I stopped night feeds. Obviously you can't drop night feeds for a 9 week old!
To be honest I would just go with it for now. Some babies sleep through at that age but the majority don't, and won't for many months.

SoyDora Thu 17-Oct-19 08:46:55

10.30-4.30 is exceptionally good for that age. They still need the feeds. I wouldn’t really be encouraging a baby that age to sleep longer... if they do it naturally then great, if they’re waking it’s because they’re hungry.

kikibo Thu 17-Oct-19 08:39:18

@Hayley2407

That's pretty good though. 6 hours is termed 'sleeping through' at that age.

Aside from no nappy changes and as little light/disruption as possible (including conversation), I felt I did the right thing by giving a top-up feed before bed, whether they'd had a feed half an hour ago or not (obviously until they were full, no force-feeding). Though that may be wishful thinking, as my midwife seemed to think when I told her about my 'strategy'.

I do feel though that once they reach the 6-hour mark, they start extending quickly. We'll see whether it's all true with number 3 as well who will be here in January.

Karigan195 Thu 17-Oct-19 04:59:36

He’s still asleep....I may need to go express!

Karigan195 Thu 17-Oct-19 04:59:06

We have play time in the evening and I don’t let him nap past 6 until it’s bed time. I don’t know if that helps. He’s also in a cloth nappy with fleece liners so super comfy (tots bots bamboozle) and feed at every opportunity in the day to make sure he’s not hungry. I think these things help but may just be lucky

Hayley2407 Thu 17-Oct-19 04:55:14

@Karigan195 anything in particular you do with your routine to help him sleep longer? His last feed is 10:30pm but can't seem to get him past 04:30, he's slept till 5 once but that was a fluke haha!

NameChangedNoImagination Thu 17-Oct-19 04:54:09

Did from about 3 months, 10 hours a night. Then when started to get teeth it all went to hell. Refused the crib. Waking multiple times a night. Still ongoing at 1 year old... sigh...

Karigan195 Thu 17-Oct-19 04:50:09

He’s done it twice already and he’s only 8 weeks. Currently I’m awake as my boobs are so bloody uncomfortable and he’s still asleep and it’s 5am.....

Hayley2407 Thu 17-Oct-19 04:28:27

@polkadotpixie I hope I'm this lucky! Definitely is just pot luck isn't it. Fingers crossed 🤞🏻

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »