Talk

Advanced search

4 month old baby won't sleep and worried.

(13 Posts)
kaelaAmumma2b Sun 25-Aug-19 11:35:51

Hi everyone ,

Need advice.
Last two days our baby boy has gone back 2 steps and has decided to wake 3-4 time a night , over the last 1.5 months he was only waking once. Now he also is not sleeping all day.
Yes we follow the cues and jump on them straight away , we actually get him to sleep but 10 mins in and once we put him in his bassinet he wakes straight up.

He also has been dribbling lots and wanting to suck on his fingers.

Any advice.
Cheers.

Creas35 Sun 25-Aug-19 11:38:12

Our DD has been the same just turned 4 months, if you google 4 month baby regression everything it says on there is happening. Also she seems to be teething but only a bit of drool and hand sucking. It hopefully will only last a short time.

sleepismysuperpower1 Sun 25-Aug-19 11:43:59

it sounds to me like he is beginning to start teething (not medically trained though!) i would try rubbing some of this on his gums and giving him something like this to chew on. it can also be frozen for additional comfort)

kaelaAmumma2b Mon 26-Aug-19 12:00:39

@Creas35 I can take a toll, but they really do mean the world.

We have found turning all the lights off and making the room very very dark and quite has helped tonight. We tend to think he needs a lamp cause he get a bit whiney when we first do it but 10 minutes later he start to get sleepy , then we put him in his bassinet where he woke up wide awake for 5 minutes, I held his chest and silently used white noise to soothe him then he drifted off. I'm not going to say it will happen every night but this is a tip I tried off a sleeping website and it did work wonders tonight.

Our little boy seems to be teething too, he's doing pretty well still a happy little man , but we can see he is clearly suffering.

It all will get better in its own time , just have to suck it up for now.

kaelaAmumma2b Mon 26-Aug-19 12:01:59

@sleepismysuperpower1 thanks we have very similar items. It helps but he's not keen on teething toys so much.

Newmumma83 Mon 26-Aug-19 12:12:25

Have you tried the raspberry teether? It’s a bit like a dummy but harder and raspberry shaped at that age our little one struggled with the teething rings but that helped

If you breast feed perhaps try given some frozen breast milk to sooth the gums? ( I didn’t but I know a few who used that ) I use hey Jude lollies from Sainsbury’s now he is weaning as just fruit and veg in a pinch

Calpol can help if you think they are in pain ... it always seems worse at night doesn’t it, perhaps sugar and colour free calpol to avoid rotting new teeth.

Brushing the gums gently with a baby tooth brush can help

There are also teething bibs that have a bit of rubber on end that littler ones can use better.

Teetha granules helped our little guy too it’s herbal too ... first couple of times he wasn’t happy but now he sticks his tongue out if in pain or will push it away if I have got the issue wrong

I would usually start with teether / then teetha then lolly then calpol or nurofen if None of the above work

At 9 months my little guy wakes up at least once for an hour in the night and multiple times to be resettled ... never really had that sleep through the night vibe so can’t comment on that but it Defno worse when he is in pain so that could be making it worse x

TapDanceJazzHands Mon 26-Aug-19 14:19:13

4 month sleep regression!

Totally normal and often coincides with teething 😭
It's just a phase and won't last..

kaelaAmumma2b Wed 28-Aug-19 00:58:18

Hi all ,

Just want to thank all of you for your time and advice.

We have found the last two nights he has been amazing.

We now give him a warm bath , massage with baby moisturiser ( as per usual) and now when I give him his last feed for the night we make the room pitch black. He does get a little upset at first but he's never gone down so quickly, he use to fight sleep really bad.

No tv , no night light just a pitch black room.

Regarding teething he has been a little under the weather but nothing yet compared to what will come.

Cheers.

helpconfused Wed 28-Aug-19 01:03:13

Look at the wonder weeks app. It helped me understand sleep regression, along with everything else at their different developmental stages

CourtneyB123 Fri 30-Aug-19 08:22:25

I can completely sympathise as I am currently going through the 4 month sleep regression, and I have to say it is awful. Two bad nights on the trot I'm wondering if it would be any good moving him into his own room now, has anyone done this at 4 months old or around that time? Good luck OP this phase has for some reason felt like its lasted weeks, in hoping its nearly over!

kaelaAmumma2b Wed 04-Sep-19 10:21:46

@CourtneyB123 thank you but he seems to be fine now. We find giving him a bath, a body massage and then all the lights out has worked wonders. We have had to even turn subtitles on the tv. Also when he takes a little longer to get down if your still bf , to lay down with him to do it and close your eyes. For some reason he also likes to think I am
falling a sleep.

It was horrible the few nights he had not slept well , also he didn't sleep at all during the day. So I'm hear for a chat if you need anyone.

CourtneyB123 Wed 04-Sep-19 11:31:53

I'm pleased things are getting better for you and little one! We were going through a phase of not napping at all in the day and bad sleep at night, to then asleep most of the day then up all night, but I have now moved him into his own room and he has slept like a dream. It was earlier than I wanted to but none of us were sleeping. We have been going through this regression for 2/3 weeks he still struggles with day time naps so I'm hoping itll be over with soon! Although have his 16 week injections tomorrow praying that doesnt throw him off course againconfused

kaelaAmumma2b Wed 04-Sep-19 12:02:47

@CourtneyB123 I know the feeling our boy is currently trying to make me sleep with him during the day. I have to hold his chest and silently "shhhhh" around him for ten minutes before actually being able to sneak away. But once he's in a deep sleep (remembering this takes up to 20 minutes) he's out for 40 minutes max. So I have to take the time to really ensure I spend the 10 minutes holding his chest to make sure he's actually fast asleep. It's not the greatest situation but atleast I can have a cup of tea and scroll through my emails before he's reenergised and ready to go for another round! I'm also positive he's teething which makes him very clingy so we have had to buy some teething gels and toys. This also has helped calm him. The teething mitten is his favourite

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »