Talk

Advanced search

Does this sound about right for a 7 month old?

(7 Posts)
PutThatInYourPipeandSmokeIt Wed 01-Aug-07 21:36:56

7 month old DD has dinner at 4:30-5pm and then goes to bed at 6:30pm (her choice) and wakes either at 10:30pm or 1am for a feed and then at 4 for a drink of water/dummy. She wakes for the day between 7-8am. Does this sound about right or do you think the night wakings are more habit? She can't seem to cope if either dinner or bed are later are gets very distressed.

PutThatInYourPipeandSmokeIt Wed 01-Aug-07 21:39:19

and she has a BF just before bed....

MorocconOil Wed 01-Aug-07 21:43:29

Sounds pretty good to me. I wouldn't try changing it as you could make her unsettled.

ChristmasPud Wed 01-Aug-07 21:45:52

Bedtime routine times are identical to my ds just coming up 7 months. Also is very difficult to settle if goes to bed any later. However now has 1 - 0 night wakings for a feed. But does get up for the day around 5:30 - 6! Not an expert but would think if she is going to be at 6:30 then waking about 7 - 8am then could possibly need one feed what have you.

One of them might be a habit. Are you BF or FF. A month ago DS had got into the habit of 3 - 4 night feeds once I had gone to bed. We are still in the same room so was recommended to sleep downstairs for 3 nights and leave DH to settle him. There was some grumpiness at this but not as much as I expected and DS settled after 1/2 hour each waking. Also went from 4 wakings to 1 or 2 as soon as he realised I wasn't around. Then by 3rd night slept through.
I add that I only did this because from the 1st night's attempt he only woke once so it was very clear he was wking out of habit rather than because he really needed it.

I think also at this age they are starting to learn that they can play mum up a bit - he often is fine with DH and then when see me starts grizzling and complaining (I try not to take this too personnally, I know I'm no oil painting but all the same....)

PutThatInYourPipeandSmokeIt Thu 02-Aug-07 17:41:02

Thanks everso for your replies. Christmaspud - DD is BF and on 3 solid meals a day of which she eats varying quantities. We've just gone through what you're talking about and I was feeding her 2-4 times in the night but twigged that these may not actually be required. I always feed the first wake up as that's the only thing that will pacify her. The rest seems to be needing the dummy or a drink. Last night she woke up about every hour. I didn't go in to her and she settled herself back down after a few minutes. She wakes us up though!! I would love for her sake to have a good stretch on unbroken sleep - it must be knackering for her as well as us all these short dozes!

cruisemum1 Thu 02-Aug-07 22:19:52

imho i would say that one night waking is prob out of hunger (even if it is through habit iyswim) but others are possibly JUST through habit. the hours sound great though so if it is not too much for you I would live with it for the time being to see if he grows out of it. if it is getting to you though, i would do as CP did and take decisive action! I actually did cc at 8mnths and have not looked back since. I would not advocate it unless it is on your agenda anyway but it was the only thing that worked for me and my ds. At 7mths my ds was waking 2hourly and was a horrific sleeper. he defo woke out of needing me to bf him back to sleep rather than hunger iyswim. hth

PutThatInYourPipeandSmokeIt Fri 03-Aug-07 12:29:17

crikey - it just goes to show how bad our memories get.....CM - she was waking 2 hourly until about 5 days before I posted and now suddenly in my mind she only wakes as I said in the OP! You are all very reassuring though I must say.

Last night she fed at 7pm, 2am, 6:15am and then went back to sleep for another hour that I didn't think I'd get! I think she may be growth spurting too as she had two extra milk feeds yesterday and she does suddenly seem to be a bit taller.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now