Talk

Advanced search

Getting Sleep

(9 Posts)
NKd1165832325913 Wed 01-Aug-07 13:20:57

It might just be that we've been very very lucky; that the baby wouldve slept anyhow, but what we did was put the baby in a seperate room [Against the written 'advice' but it was either that or no sleep] and put her straight down and left her.
Since about 2 weeks she slept through the night, 1am to 9am, and from 4 weeks she slept midnight to 10 or 11am and still does at 8 months old.
- I think having the baby in another room helped us all to sleep, and leaving her, so she didnt get to rely on rocking etc to get to sleep.
I know some people find it hard to ignore any crying at all, but it can help to do so sometimes.
I don't know how parents cope with weeks/months of disturbed sleep, I'd snap after just a few days. I wish you all luck and hope you can get the sleep you need.

ruddynorah Wed 01-Aug-07 13:24:10

it isn't good for babies to sleep for such long periods at an early age, especially if they're breastfeeding. it may be good for you as a mum, but not necessarily for the baby.

lulumama Wed 01-Aug-07 13:25:46

what works for you is not always what works for others... i think some babies are just good sleepers, some aren't, regardless of what methods you try

however, sleeping 12 hours at a new born stage is not always that good....babies need to feed frequently, especially if breastfed, so supply keeps up with demand

cruisemum1 Thu 02-Aug-07 22:24:30

aaaagh! i read your post and was quite horrified. I am sure you are a loving and caring mummy but your method would never have been for me and my 2 lo's. We all feel like 'snapping' after a few days cos of exhaustion but i felt a primal need to be forever near my lo as much as he did and she did to me.

funnypeevesculiar Thu 02-Aug-07 22:27:06

I don't get people whose main priority with their babies is to get them to sleep as long as possible.

I'd rather have my cuddles, thanks

tryingtoleave Fri 03-Aug-07 07:01:18

I wouldn't be proud of myself if I got my baby to sleep that way.

popsycal Fri 03-Aug-07 07:03:44

Agree with all the other posters.
My 2 and a half year old still does not sleep, so YEARS of disturbed sleep - but despite that, I still would not have done what you did. It goes against all advice but mainly against my instincts.

popsycal Fri 03-Aug-07 07:04:11

Actually - just re-reading, I am not sure of the point of your post....

cruisemum1 Fri 03-Aug-07 08:26:58

surely this is a wind up? . if i re-read it looks like the poor child's hours are 12midnight to 11am????

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: