Talk

Advanced search

Getting baby to sleep through if MOM is a very bad sleeper

(8 Posts)
mmack Tue 31-Jul-07 23:18:18

Hi, I wonder if anyone else has had this problem? I am a terrible sleeper. I take ages to wind down and fall off to sleep and then wake at every little noise and have to repeat the whole wind down process again.

My 3 year old has only recently started sleeping through. My 6 month old ds was quite a good sleeper until recently but has now started waking a few times and needs to be fed back to sleep. As a result I am up most of the night. Sleep problems with my dd also started at around six months.

I am wondering if I am the cause of the problem. Maybe if I was a deeper sleeper I wouldn't be up at the first rustle and they would learn to settle themselves. I wouldn't be a fan of controlled crying and don't think I could try it with dd being such a light sleeper too. If anyone has any ideas I would be very grateful.

jorange5 Wed 01-Aug-07 09:23:31

no suggestions mmack but I just wanted to sympathise and say that I too am a bad sleeper and even if dd sleeps well i wake whenever she murmers on the baby monitor. DP is such a deep sleeper and he can just close his eyes and drift off - doesn't that just really p*ss you off!

I take comfort in the idea that I must be a very good mum to be so sensitive and attentive to DDs needs during the night and you must be too!

dazedandconfunded Wed 01-Aug-07 19:35:13

Maybe turn down the monitor or move dc to a different room? Then you would only be disturbed when he really wakes rather than when he rustles and wriggles. I think you're right - he might settle himself given the chance

mmack Wed 01-Aug-07 21:15:50

Thanks for the comments. My ds is in a different room already and I don't have a baby monitor but I still wake at every sound he makes-I know it is ridiculous. If I had a monitor I doubt I'd ever sleep. I'm thinking about giving up tea and coffee completely myself for a while to see if I might sleep better. My dh never wakes all either jorange. Sometimes I think I should just go and stay in a hotel for a few nights and let it all sort itself out.

gingerninja Thu 02-Aug-07 15:00:07

mmack, I too am from the terrible sleep society so can hardly blame my DD for hers. I just hope I survive to the point where she'll lay quietly until drifting off again. If I wake to her or a noise my heart is absolutely racing and it takes me ages to get back to sleep again. No advice tho sorry

gegs73 Thu 02-Aug-07 18:51:02

Hi - I'm abit like this and I have recently discovered the wonder of EAR PLUGS!!!!

DH sleeps really soundly and only wakes if babies are crying loudly not just grunting. I on the other hand wake at every little murmer and even the hiss of the monitor if ds1 who is 3 turns over(really must take monitor out of room but we are on a different floor ) My latest plan is if DS2 needs feeding in the night, DH prods me when he is crying and I feed him. DH falls back to sleep almost instantly and once I've fed DS2 and made sure he has not been sick for 5 mins or so, I plug them back in then am straight off to sleep (previously I'd been awake for up to two hours!). This has been working really well for the last week and I feel like a different woman!!!

I spoke to another friend about this and she uses ear plugs too and told me she has done this for years She said she often sleeps with 1 plug in so noise is muffled but she can hear if baby is crying. Hope this helps as it really has for me.

mmack Thu 02-Aug-07 23:16:46

Hi, thanks for the comments. Gegs I do use earplugs if I get the chance to have a nap during the day. They really help. But dh is such a sound sleeper that I'm reluctant to use them at night in case the baby is really in distress and neither of us wakes. The one earplug idea is a good one though-I think I'll give it a go tonight. I've also sworn of coffee altogether and I'm going to limit myself to two cups of tea a day. At the moment I'm awake from around 4.30 every morning and it's just not enough sleep.

miffin Tue 14-Aug-07 17:59:11

I too am a terrible sleeper - sometimes I have husband sleeping one side and dear son in cot the other both as restful as can be, and I'm the one that's wide awake!

However, I have recently discovered blackout curtains. Actually - they are just very very dark curtains. They block out all the light and it makes an enormous difference in helping me to drop back off after a feed. I discovered that light was causing insomnia in pregnancy when sleep went absolutely haywire, and have just gone a step further with these even darker curtains.

Makes night feedings a bit tricky as it's so damn dark - but well worth it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now