Talk

Advanced search

To feed at 10PM or not?

(13 Posts)
Snowi Tue 24-Jul-07 15:40:48

Hi mummies,
DS is 9 weeks old, last feed is at 7:30PM he then wakes at about 2:30AM for another feed. He sometimes rustles & moans at 10PM but then settles back to sleep, should I feed him at this time if he rustles so that he can perhaps sleep from 10PM to 5AM? Any advice?

domesticgrumpess Tue 24-Jul-07 17:06:21

Message withdrawn

flowerybeanbag Tue 24-Jul-07 17:12:15

DS is 10 weeks, used to do the exact same thing, feed 7.30 then wake up around 1-2am.
We now feed at 6.30 to give enough time for feed to be completely digested and to make enough room for a big feed 10.30, last night he went to 4am.

Works for us!

peggotty Tue 24-Jul-07 17:14:19

I used to wake my dd at 10pm for a feed, and it did seem to help her to sleep longer. Eventually she started rejecting the 10pm feed and that was when she then slept though.

HTH

GibbonInARibbon Tue 24-Jul-07 17:16:22

I didn't wake DD but always gave a dream feed at 10 - 11pm - she slept through from 9 weeks

beansprout Tue 24-Jul-07 17:17:05

This worked well for us and I will be doing it again when the next one arrives!

Snowi Tue 24-Jul-07 18:19:46

thanx mummies, so it seems that I shouldn't wake him but let him dream feed? As he does when he wakes at 2AM?

flowerybeanbag Tue 24-Jul-07 19:14:30

well we wake DS at 10.30, that way he takes more, is less likely to fall asleep midway through and therefore goes a bit longer til the next feed.
Never had any trouble getting him to go back to sleep again either, but maybe if you think you might, might be worth dreamfeeding.

Jen1978 Wed 25-Jul-07 20:35:39

We are doing this as well but with the 7pm feed we are just giving the bare minumum to get DS off to sleep (bottle feeding with expressed milk), we are weatering down his milk at this feed so that he doesn't get as many calories but still gets the volume so feels full, but then is more likely to wake up properly at 10.30pm and have a big feed then. Our hope is that in doing this he will sleep longer after the 10.30pm feed, perhaps till 3 or 4 am instead of the 1-2am that he does at the moment. We have done this for the last two nights but not had much success so far - still waking at 1.30am!! but we are persevering with the aount we give at 7pm, adjusting it accordingly and intend to try for a week. If anyone has any other suggestions on how to get him to go longer after the 10.30pm feed I'd love to hear them!

twofalls Wed 25-Jul-07 20:48:14

You know, slightly different point of view here. I wish I had never instigated the 10PM dream feed. It never did anything for dd, she still woke at 2am and 5am. When she dropped her 2am feed, she still needed her 10PM one until she was about 10 months and when I dropped it, even though I weaned her off it she woke up at 3 again so I wish I had just let her wake when she needed to rather than disturb her.

Mind you, not sure I am one to be giving advice about sleep - she is 15 months and still doesn't sleep through

jojosmaman Wed 25-Jul-07 20:50:28

My DS is now 24 weeks but has been "sleeping through" since about 13 weeks. I have used inverted commas on sleeping through as he goes down at 7 after his feed (formula about 8oz) and then I dream feed him at about 10.30-11pm and he goes through til about 7.30am. A lot of the time he wakes for this feed but I don't put the big light on or change him so he goes back to sleep easily after he has had this feed. Sometimes he takes 7 oz and sometimes just 2 or 3oz but it doesnt matter how much he takes, he still sleeps through. Very occasionally he wakes about 5am but just chatters to himself for a bit and goes back off- I think this is when the light comes into his room that wakes him!

I have always done this as soon as he started to sleep though his 10pm feed as if I didnt he would wake at about 2am then 5am (just as Gina predicted!) and even now if for some reason I dont do this feed he will wake at about 4am so I know he is not yet ready to drop it and i will prob continue to do so until he is established on solids.
HTH!

coleyboy Wed 25-Jul-07 20:51:38

10pm feed worked a treat for ds. We done it as dreamfeed so he didn't wake up, but if he did he'd go straight back to sleep.

He has only started to drop it now (1yo), but has slept through since 14 weeks.

FrayedKnot Wed 25-Jul-07 21:16:37

Sorry, it never worked for me, DS would still wake up at 12,2,4 etc etc

I gave up and went back to going to bed early

But lots of people seem to get it to work, so definitely worth a try

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now