Talk

Advanced search

How do you shift a Newborn's sleep pattern....

(10 Posts)
BefSnork Thu 19-Jul-07 10:08:07

backwards?

L is 10 weeks old and goes to sleep at 10 no matter what we do before to get her sleepy; baths; massages; mega feeds..., and wakes at 10 in the morning - have tried to keep her up after her 7am feed and she just gets really narky and then goes back to sleep until 10. Want to start being able to eat my restaurant food hot or with two hands! any tips for shifting her clock backwards...? she has been like this from the start except used to nap a bit from 7pm to 10pm. Now she's wide awake and wanting to chat and watch the world go by!

Please help

Surfermum Thu 19-Jul-07 10:17:10

DD was exactly like this. She sleep from 10/11 pm through to 7ish, have a feed then go back to sleep for another 3 hours.

To be honest, I just went with the flow and let her adjust her own sleep pattern and I fitted in around it. I was just grateful that I was getting a decent night's sleep every night.

BefSnork Thu 19-Jul-07 10:31:38

fair enough though she also wakes at 3am for a feed too... hoping she may grow out of it?

iwouldgoouttonight Thu 19-Jul-07 10:36:25

My DS seemed to adjust his sleep pattern by himself - at around 3-4 months he just started gradually falling asleep earlier in the evenings and now he sleeps 7pm-7am. I remember the eating cold food with one hand all too well!!

Surfermum Thu 19-Jul-07 10:36:39

I'm sure she will . I found that gradually she started getting really grumpy and wouldn't go to sleep, so we'd bring bedtime forward by half an hour, which would work. We did this every few months until eventually she was going to bed at 7pm. I can't remember what age she was though as she's 4 now!

I know it might feel like you don't have your evenings at the moment, and it maybe feels like it's just going on and on, but, honestly, it doesn't last for ever.

BefSnork Thu 19-Jul-07 10:40:27

oooh tunnel end light

thanks... sounds like if i chill out she'll gradually find her way. should just thank my lucky stars she sleeps, i know!

just going to like restaurants and mind cold expensive food more

sheepgomeep Thu 19-Jul-07 11:20:47

be thankful your not me. dd2 is up 3 times in the night for a feed and only sleeps for 2 to 3 hours at a time.

I would love to have a baby that sleeps for 10 hours with just one feed in the night

BefSnork Thu 19-Jul-07 16:01:53

some people eh? just don't know when they've got it good!

katelyle Thu 19-Jul-07 16:05:28

I'm afraid you don't. You shift you life patterns to fit!

BefSnork Thu 19-Jul-07 16:56:41

its funny - i've heard very conflicting stuff on that - some people say they've come to live with you and need to fit in with you (within reason of course), others that its all about them and everything stops for them. obviously the norm would be a middle way, which is what we do!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: