Talk

Advanced search

Considering CC, and not happy about it = advice please !

(11 Posts)
puffylovett Mon 16-Jul-07 22:46:12

Hi, i know I'm probably duplicating threads but I'd love some adivce. My LO is 4 and a bit months, and generally a good sleeper. Usual routine is wake between 6-7am, back to bed after an hour till about 9.30. Then usually naps for a couple of hours about 11 / 12 ish and sometimes again at 4ish depending on wether we're out and about. Historically I have had no problem putting him in his cot and he puts himself to sleep if I get him in it at the right sleep cues during the day.
However, he's recently gone through the 4 mth growth spurt which mucked his routine up and consequently I wound up bfing him to sleep a lot. Since then, his routine has gone a bit out the window - I can't recognise his sleep signals very well any more, he doesn't seem to have any in the moring to the point that he can be up for 3 hours from 10am but unable to settle himself to sleep for his daytime nap due to being over tired. I've alwyas struggeld with the 7pm fed and it's got even worse - we've just had some v bad evenings and tonight was worst yet. He was put in cot drowsy at 7pm, woke up and started crying. I alwyas pick him up beciase he's v windy baby. This carried on 4 an hour. I then caved and brought him downstaris whereby he sat and gurgled happilu in his chair till about 9.15, then we did nappy quick top up bf and he was out like a light. Basically he wouldn't stop crying earlier until I left his bedroom, at which poitn he stopped immediately and smiled, the little monkey ! Dp says hes being manipulative and to just leave him to cry but i really struggle with that. This has been offset by him shifting his night feeds round so I'm only feeding twice not 3 times between 7pm ad 7am and developmentally he's just started rolling and being v active and alert. I'm due to go back to work at which point he will be with dp and grandparents a couple of eve's a week, and i need to ge t this cracked b4 i do ! and thinking that maybe cc is the only way to do so....

Sorry for the long post but would appreciate any help !

VeniVidiVickiQV Mon 16-Jul-07 22:51:19

4.5 month olds cannot be 'manipulative'.

There is nothing wrong with b/feeding a baby to sleep. Plus it is not unusual for a baby to have unsettled sleeping patterns for at least 6-9 months.

What I would say is that if you do want to settle a baby down in the evening, then bringing them downstairs is not a good idea!

Its difficult, isnt it?

Hulababy Mon 16-Jul-07 22:52:45

CC is not recommended as young as this. Even the person who wrote the book (or whatever) related to this says not until 12 months AFAIK.

TooTicky Mon 16-Jul-07 22:56:19

Young babies do little sleeps and wakings. Bf him to sleep, co-sleep if you want, it makes for a happy baby and more sleep for all.
Babies do not manipulate!! They just love and need company and attention.

puffylovett Mon 16-Jul-07 22:57:54

yes i agree vvv but the little monkey was screaming in his bedroom ! Gah ! i atually love bfng him to sleep, specially in the night (think i must be a bit twisted) but lately he won't go back on the boob to settle in the eve and also won't take a dummy - just launches it...
feel a bit under pressure from dp that he won't settle most times without me, that he's not in a 'structured' routine and also i think he feels a bit useless and would like to be able to put ds to bed every now and again.

puffylovett Mon 16-Jul-07 22:59:19

ps we've never got on with co-sleeping, he likes his space - and it's hard to think of him as little cos he's a giant - which prob makes it more difficult ! thanks 4 the support x

TooTicky Mon 16-Jul-07 23:00:20

Hey, there's nothing twisted about enjoying bf your baby at any time of day or night!!
Sorry you're feeling under pressure though.

TooTicky Mon 16-Jul-07 23:04:11

Perhaps he is starting to associate his bedroom with being alone. Let him stay downstairs when he's not sleepy. Maybe shift him round a bit so he goes to bed later/naps earlier? Although babies' routines change quite regularly.

Good luck!!

EscapeFrom Mon 16-Jul-07 23:06:02

Too small, for one thing.

You feel uncomfortable with it, and that's the clincher. It will break your heart.

DaddyJ Wed 18-Jul-07 09:09:50

You need to decide what you want to do.
Go with the flow until you go back to work?

If neither co-sleeping nor CC is for you
have a look at the in-between techniques like
NCSS (Pantley) or Pick up/Put down (Baby Whisperer).

crayon Wed 18-Jul-07 18:17:42

I agree he is a little young for cc. Try the other techniques though where you stay by the cot and gradually withdrawl, or pick up and 'ssshhhhh' them. We did a combination of these at 8 months and managed to get him to sleep without controlled crying (though it has gone a bit pear shaped as we got complacent, so have had to start again ).

As long as you are aware of it, I'm sure it will come together in time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now