Talk

Advanced search

Help solve a 'difference of opinion' between me and my MIL

(12 Posts)
Ceebee74 Sat 14-Jul-07 19:37:48

Basically, what do you do if your lo is clearly not tired at bedtime?

My Ds (1 today!!) is an excellent sleeper and I do not let him nap after 4pm - however, occasionally if we have been in the car driving back from somewhere later than that, Ds has fallen asleep and is therefore not at all sleepy at 7 (his normal bedtime).

We go through his normal bedtime routine, put him in his grobag and then let him stay downstairs with us until he is either sleepy or we go to bed - however, MIL doesn't agree with this and tells us she used to spend ages rocking, singing etc DH to sleep.

Now in my opinion, why would I want to spend the evening apart from DH upstairs doing this when we could all be together downstairs enjoying a nice evening together.

What is your opinion?

BTW this has only happened 3 times in 12 months so not really a big issue - just sick of MIL going on about it!

ProjectSeverus Sat 14-Jul-07 19:39:40

You are right - she is mental.

lulumama Sat 14-Jul-07 19:39:41

happy birthday to your darling, gorgeous boy ! kisses from babylulu xx

you do whatever you feel is right for you and your family....routines work best when you allow some flexibility....why is it better to spend ages rocking a baby to sleep, if you are happy to have him downstairs with you until he is ready for bed?

you keep enjoying your nice family evenings

chevre Sat 14-Jul-07 19:42:35

you are his mother, therefore you are always right - until he grows up and has a family, then you start being wrong.

Ceebee74 Sat 14-Jul-07 19:42:43

Kisses back to babylulu xx DS has had a great day but his party is tomorrow so it is like he is having 2 birthdays

I guess MIL thinks babies should be in bed by a certain time and not allowed downstairs whatever the circumstances.

TheArmadillo Sat 14-Jul-07 19:49:57

If it works well for you I wouldn't see a problem with it.

I do similar with ds (2.8) if he falls asleep in the day. WHat's the point of putting them to bed when they won't sleep and will be up and down like a yoyo.

Ceebee74 Sat 14-Jul-07 19:57:10

Armadillo - that is exactly my point of view.

Why would I want to spend time upstairs trying to force a non-sleepy baby to sleep when I could be downstairs enjoying a lovely glass of wine eh

ratfly Sat 14-Jul-07 20:10:11

agree with everyone else - if I'M not tired at MY usual bedtime, I wind down first, I don't go to bed and lie there awake and frustrated. Why should it be different just because they are little?

Surfermum Sat 14-Jul-07 20:14:12

I agree with you, I used to do the same. These days if dd isn't tired I'll leave her with a book and the light on and she nods off when ready.

AnnieOleHouseElf Mon 16-Jul-07 15:23:08

Hi Ceebee <<waves>>

MILs eh? Short memories.

For what it's worth, DD stays up with us until she falls asleep in my arms. Just have to make sure one arm is free to reach for the glass of wine. Reason being, if we put her in her cot to sleep she would scream and wake up DS. Then I'd never get my wine...

They are after all, human, not robotic clockwork thingys...

Once in a while won't hurt at all at all.

stealthsquiggle Mon 16-Jul-07 15:27:52

She's mental. Here is the major advantage of your approach.

This is exactly what we used to do with DS. From the age of about 3, if we were up late / sitting around talking to friends and drinking / whatever, he would take himself off to the sofa and go to sleep - all we had to do was transfer him to bed at some later point

Come to think of it your MIL probably wouldn't approve of that either

cockles Mon 16-Jul-07 16:18:45

She's wrong, you're right. The only thing to say is 'Isn't it interesting how different babies are! DS really thrives this way, obviously your way worked for you!'

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now