Talk

Advanced search

How much sleep is normal for a 10 week old?

(4 Posts)
dejags Tue 10-Jul-07 10:38:19

DD is 10 weeks on Wed. She was born 3.5 weeks early.

She seems to need a lot of sleep and I am slightly concerned it may be something to do with her being so sick.

She sleeps on average 17/18 hours out of 24. A typical day would be:

She sleeps fairly well at night - goes to bed at 7pm, wakes around 1-2 for a feed. Feeds at 5ish then back to sleep until 6.30 when her dad gets up.

Is this normal? I thought by now she'd be more alert for longer periods?

dejags Tue 10-Jul-07 10:40:13

forget the typical day bit. basically she can't stay awake for longer than 1.5 hours without needing a kip.

Should clarify that she was in hospital for two weeks with RSV Bronchiolitis from week 4 to week 6.

nowwearefour Tue 10-Jul-07 10:45:03

This is absolutely normal i woud think. very few babies can go longer than 2 hrs for some months. my baby (no 2) is now 7 weeks old born at 42 weeks and can barely make it past 1 hr without wanting to conk out. Enjoy it as iy wont last forever i promise.

dejags Tue 10-Jul-07 12:41:30

Thanks for that. I am comparing her to her older brothers who were much more alert at this age.

The older children were awake for the best part of the day at the same age - just a long nap at lunchtime and perhaps a catnap or two during the day.

She has been getting extremely grizzly about 1.5 hours after a feed - I was confused about what she wanted for a while which meant that I had a very unhappy baby for a while.

Ho hum - shows that all babies are different!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now