Talk

Advanced search

I want to hear success stories from parents of grown-up kids (no cc please)

(10 Posts)
beforesunrise Thu 05-Jul-07 13:17:46

hello all, i am the proud mummy of a wonderful 17 months old dd. she is of course perfect in every respect except she has never slept through, not even close! still waking up 2-3 times per night and regularly ends up in our bed at 5 (whcih is not really a problem because we all love it and both dh and i work so it's our cuddle time). it's those wakeups that are killing us...

we have stopped trying to "fix" things as we have tried everything short of cc which we just will not do, no offense to anyone but we just can't do it. did the NCSS, she's been on a constant day and bed time routine for yonks now etc. she's lovely and happy and independent and confident- just doesn't like to sleep, or maybe doesn't need it.

all i want to know is that it does get better- eventually- by itself. and that we will one day sleep again for more than 3 hours in a row.

so please... give me some happy ending stories... thank you!

mynameistallulah Thu 05-Jul-07 13:25:33

Not sure if it's what you want but my DS1 didn't go through the night until he was over 2.

Now 19 he doesn't get up until after midday

MaureenMLove Thu 05-Jul-07 13:33:45

I didn't do any of the things you are advised to do. I didn't read books either. My dd was ok at first, slept through at 3 months, but by 18 months she was up again in the night. The thing is their routine changes so much when they are little and they're all so unique. What works for one person, might not work for another.
It most certainly does get better - I promise. Before you know it, you'll be wishing her awake for your morning snuggle! Keep going!

Crocky Thu 05-Jul-07 13:39:13

My solution wouldn't be the same as others, but if you are happy that she is going to end up in your bed anyway why don't you bring her in on the first waking?
DD was a good sleeper until she went into a bed at two. Then she started the nightly visits to our bed. I would open one eye, allow her to climb in and go back to sleep. Just couldn't be bothered to fight it. She has just turned three and has all of a sudden stopped coming in. She now happily sleep all night in her own bed.

WotzaGirl2do Thu 05-Jul-07 13:39:32

I think teenagers are the only age group who actually get any sleep at all (with the exception of teenage mums).

Babies - little bouts of sleep (don't mention all nighters)
PreSchool - up at 4am or 6am if lucky
Children - don't want to go to bed, can't get out of bed
Teens - sleeppppppp zzzzzzzz'sss
Young Adults - work late or out all night partying or watching BBH till late (manage on 5 hours)
Mid Life - overworked, over stressed, not enough sleep
OAPs - up most of the night to go to the loo!

Piffle Thu 05-Jul-07 13:40:57

I waited until both of mine got all their teeth - then amazingly after that, they never woke in the night except for being poorly.
ds1 13 and 4.5
ds1 was particularly bad

sniff Thu 05-Jul-07 13:44:13

mine sleep through 9, 3.9, and 1

dont think it was perticularly down to me though I just dont let them have to much sleep in the day <nasty mommy emotion>

Aero Thu 05-Jul-07 13:48:24

I've found with all of mine, that by the time they reach about age three, they sleep much better at night. We only really get the night visits now if one of them has had a bad dream or isn't feeling well. They are 9, (almost) 7 and 3.

beforesunrise Thu 05-Jul-07 13:50:30

sniff- do i read this correctly? slept through at 9 years old?! hand me the gun NOW!

Crocky- we are getting a bigger bed :-)

Wotzagirl- please don't spoil my fantasy of Old Age, that's when i plan to catch up on all the lost sleep...

Crocky Thu 05-Jul-07 14:23:45

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now