Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Staying in the LO's room for CC

(12 Posts)
PrettyCandles Sun 01-Jul-07 23:01:00

Has anyone ever tried doing CC while staying in the LO's room? Ie not leaving them alone, but not interacting at all, except for the returns every 2,4,8minutes etc.

ratfly Mon 02-Jul-07 09:21:24

hasn't that got another name, like controlled staying (that's not it, but I'm sure its an actual technique)

ratfly Mon 02-Jul-07 09:26:31

Sorry, probably talking out of my a*5e but I remember reading up loads of techniques when I had huge problems getting ds to settle.

You can do something like comfort til they stop crying, then ignore in the room for a set time. I think it's meant to be less harsh than CC, but I think I would find it harder to do if I was in the same room.

ratfly Mon 02-Jul-07 09:28:16

is it gradual withdrawal?

sorry, this is going to bug me now!

cruisemum1 Mon 02-Jul-07 09:28:53

i did feebly attempt this kind of cc but found it enormously distressing as lo was crying and imploring me to pick him up and offer comfort. I did cc with really small intervals (2,2,4,4,5,5,6) but left the room each time. Easier on both of us imho. How old is your lo?

cruisemum1 Mon 02-Jul-07 09:29:32

btw my ds was 8mths when i did it. Too young to understand why i was in his room but not comforting him imo

PrettyCandles Mon 02-Jul-07 20:36:03

Ds is 8m.

I really don't want to do CC but we're nearing the end of the tether. We're knackered. We were getting somewhere with softly-softly sleep-training, but then he caught a cold and cut his first two teet and it all went pear-shaped. Last night I just gave up trying to resettle him and took him into bed with me and let him feed whenever he wanted.

I've done CC before, with dd, and I know that it can be a really quick fix for the problem. But ds doesn't have separation anxiety, and I don't want to trigger it. Also, dd didn't suck her thumb until we did CC, and then she became such a strong and constant sucker that it has damaged her jaw.

DaddyJ Tue 03-Jul-07 12:13:18

PrettyC, yes, of course you can stay in the room!

I have settled our dd for her daytime naps using that method
as proper CC distressed her too much during the day.

A watered down version of CC - something like
sush pat or pu/pd - seems like a good option for you.
Particulary given your past experience - sorry to hear about your dd

newlifenewname Tue 03-Jul-07 12:15:35

That's a bit like Gradual Retreat. I don't see anything wrong with it so long as you aren't distressed by it and they don't seem to find it more confusing/distressing.

A firm, no leeway approach will generally always work fastest but it isn't always best ime.

callmeovercautious Tue 03-Jul-07 13:32:08

We did cc and left the room - like cruisemum. My DD got more workrd up by GW and PU/PD but I do know others it works well for. I suggest you get some books from the library so you understand each technique. Get DH to have input and choose the method you both agree on. Set a day to start and go for it. Naps and all. Thant way DS won't get mixed messages.

DD always deteriorates after teething etc but I reintroduce the routine and she often responds just to that, I have had to re-do CC a couple of time tho.

HTH

PrettyCandles Tue 03-Jul-07 19:02:06

PU/PD won't work for ds, as picking him up doesn't generally calm him.

I think I know Gradual Retreat - but can you recommend a book for me to refgresh my memory?

What's GW?

cruisemum1 Tue 03-Jul-07 20:10:13

Gradual Withdrawal - same as Grad Retreat as far as i can gather. hth

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now