Talk

Advanced search

5.30am wake up!

(8 Posts)
Newmum26 Sat 11-Aug-18 08:50:29

DS is 15 months and goes to bed at 7pm and wakes at 5.30am most days 6/6.30am if we're lucky.
He has one nap a day at 10.00am - 12pm.
Is this just something I have to get on with?! Is this the norm for toddlers to wake up?!

Sippingtea Sat 11-Aug-18 08:54:10

No advice but ours is 17 months and his pattern is exactly the same. I keep reminding this will all be a memory one day!

misskatamari Sat 11-Aug-18 09:00:28

Pretty normal I'm afraid. It sucks. My only advice would be go to bed early and if you can sometimes nap a bit when he does it helps!

IHeartKingThistle Sat 11-Aug-18 09:04:05

I refused to get up at that time! Anything before 7 I treated as night waking. They did get the message. Mine were pretty biddable though and I started routines quite early. Not fashionable now but I can't function without enough sleep!

Dadsbigsausages Sat 11-Aug-18 09:15:12

So normal. Don't put the tv on. I bought so much direct tv crap at 5.30am I was so sure the fitness dvds and steam mops and fruit slicers were gonna change my life grin

The world is hard to navigate sleep deprived at 5.30 😂

DunesOfSand Sat 11-Aug-18 09:31:23

Other alternative is to make meals, nap and bedtime an hour later - making wake up 6.30, but bedtime 8pm. It may or may not work - so you might end up with a very grumpy toddler, who still wakes at 5.30....
I still have a 5.30 waker. Thankfully he can now read a clock, so reads in bed til 6, then gets his own breakfast!

greenfooted Sat 11-Aug-18 09:41:00

We’ve had this with DS who is now 26 months. Realised today that he rarely wakes before 7 - it’s changed our lives. We started when he was about 22 months with a gro clock and treating it as night waking until 6 am. He was furious at first and we had to go in and resettle every few minutes but stuck to it even if he woke his elder sister. We moved the gro clock back back 10 minutes once a week after we had done this for a month or so. We’ve had other sleep issues with the kids which have been more intense but quicker to cure but stick with it and it will work.

besterboo Mon 03-Sep-18 23:19:53

My 8yo is hard wired for a 5.30am wake up. I think it’s because he was born at that time of the morning! We have a gro clock set to 6am when he’s allowed to get out of bed, but he’s just an early riser. I’m sure your little one will have occasional freak lie ins till 6.00am, or later! and you will feel like it’s a luxury.

You seem to get a decent amount of evening- so enjoy those, get to bed by 10.00pm, you’ll get a not too shabby 7+ hours of lovely sleep and don’t worry about the early starts, it’s your kiddo’s normal. It could be worse!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: