Talk

Advanced search

BF to sleep at night is working well BUT i go back to work in Sept. HELP!

(10 Posts)
Timeforanothernewone Thu 12-Jul-18 21:18:54

DS2 (nearly 6 months but was 3 weeks early), as far as I'm concerned, is fine as a sleeper. He'll nap roughly three times a day. Morning is about 45m, lunch time is longer 90m or 2h because his brother is also in bed and then about 45m in the late afternoon. Bed time varies from 7-9 and again, I'm ok with that. I'll lie down and feed him to sleep. I have to go up to him a few times when he unsettles but he settles so quickly. He feeds twice in the night and wakes at approx 6am. His awake time is 90m-2h. We co sleep.

However, when he's 8 months I go back to work. I'll be working evenings and won't be home until approx 8.30. He's never had a bottle in his life cmpa fears as there is a strong family link. Me, DH and DS1 all have milk allergy. He's never settled in the evening for anyone other than me. Occasionally if someone is rocking him he'll randomly fall asleep on them for a nap. He naps well in the pram without being fed. I put him down very drowsy and he basically just opens his eyes, smiles and goes back to sleep.

I have no idea how I'm going to get from feed to sleep to my husband putting him down with a bottle. We also have an 18 month old toddler who DH will also need to do a bedtime routine for. Thankfully he's generally pretty easy to put down.

Anyone have any advice? I don't want it to be too traumatic for the poor kid.

Memenew Thu 12-Jul-18 21:54:22

Hey there, I would suggest buying a book or baby sleep programe. There's one called little ones sleep programe which I believe gives plenty of info about how to teach baby to self soothe. I've used Gina Ford contented baby (although only losely followed it for the routine its far to rigid overall). I think this book would suggest you continue to feed baby but wake baby before you put them down in the cot so that they will get used to going off to sleep without being fed to sleep. I started this early on and it worked well. I had no clue what I was doing when my little one was born so found it really helpful to have some guidance. It sounds like you have a great routine going and perhaps following a program would help you make just a few tweeks to it to help make life easier when you're back at work. Perhaps you could start to express a little and get baby used to taking a bottle sooner rather than later. I really feel for you as it sounds like you're so happy doing what you're currently doing. You have to look after yourself too tho and being up twice each night when you're back at work would be so exhausting x x

Timeforanothernewone Fri 13-Jul-18 05:34:55

I'm absolutely fine about the night wakings. He's quick to feed and settles instantly. I'll not be working 12h a week and will be home during the day looking after him and him 18 month old brother. It's not like I have to do brain surgery or anything. I won't martyr myself to it but at 8 months I'd still expect night wakings.

My main concern is changing methods for night sleep when what we're doing is working so well.

Thankyou for the book recommendation smile

Daybydaybyday Sat 14-Jul-18 20:21:29

I’m bumping this because I am in a very similar position with my 5 month old. From September my husband will need to be able to put him down to sleep regularly. I’d love to read any further advice on this.

Daybydaybyday Sat 14-Jul-18 20:23:17

My baby takes expressed milk but it doesn’t cause him to drift off to sleep in the same way as breastfeeding him.

Timeforanothernewone Sat 14-Jul-18 20:54:00

Thankyou for the bump. I have no idea how we're going to do this as DH is currently trying to study as soon as the eldest is in bed. I have a feeling it's going to be a disaster!

Daybydaybyday Sat 14-Jul-18 21:05:43

You’re welcome and I’m getting a bit stressed by this too. We had a trial run of sorts this week and it didn’t go well at all! I’m hoping starting solids might have an impact on his sleep over all but, like you, it’s the initial getting him to sleep that’s the biggest concern.

Timeforanothernewone Sat 14-Jul-18 21:13:55

It is a worry, isn't it. My DH will also have a 20 month old to wrangle into bed!

emma3456 Sat 14-Jul-18 21:21:39

Following too as 4 month old won't sleep without being fed to sleep or settle with DH.

Daybydaybyday Sat 14-Jul-18 21:28:08

Oh dear. Let’s hope things look very different by September. There’s still time to try different things before then - or for things to right themselves.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: