Talk

Advanced search

When to give calpol/ibuprofen...leap 6/teething day and night

(8 Posts)
Jellybabie3 Tue 22-May-18 08:18:12

Hi all.

I'm in a bit of a debate with DH about whether or not to give calpol/ibuprofen to DS. Basically hes 7.5mo now and apparently in leap 6. Behaviour so far:

- irritable pretty much all day. Has learned to do 'arms up' so wants picking up repeatedly.

- screams blue murder when waking in the night (now back to every 2 hours sigh) NOTHING will settle him unless i bounce in rocking chair singing or feed (which i do if hes hungry). He screams in my face while arching back. Same for the afternoon nap (morning OK atm although all are 30-45min)

- bad bum. Very loose stools for 5 days. Hes been to doc (he had a nasty rash which is ezcema) and they reckon hes had a virus and sore throat (could be the screaming lol)

- doing a good impression of chewing gum

- missed yesterday afternoon nap as he just screamed for 40mins unless i held him singing (which i couldnt do at the time) point blank could not put him down. So he went from 1.15 til 7pm no sleep.

Anyway. Hes in a leap so this is all normal i know that. But. I also think he could be teething. He has two lower teeth so far but the gum either side looks gently hacked (thats the only way i can describe it) but i cant feel anything coming through.

So I gave DS ibuprofen before bed last night as he woke after 30min and screamed in my face for 25mins. After literally 5 mins he was asleep. Albeit I did hold him in the rocking chair for those 5 min. He slept until 11pm but then woke every 2 after but i didnt give him any more ibuprofen.

DH is cross i 'just give him drugs' as hes going through a leap. Like I'm using it to knock him out (i know that's not how it works btw).

So what would you do? The screaming whining goes on all day and i certainly dont want him in pain. Self settling appears out of the window atm but that can be readdressed later. I am more concerned he can sleep (as hes notably very tired) and is content/happy as poss.

Advice please?

arbrighton Tue 22-May-18 11:55:37

Waking that quickly and screaming that long (I'm amazed you held out that long!) are signs for us to get the calpol/ ibuprofen out. The fact he went to sleep so quickly, for me, shows a) he was in pain and b) he was tired

Without real teething signs and more than just irritability, I don't give it in the day though

Unless your DH has a better solution, do what you feel is needed

Interestingly, I read yesterday that wonder weeks/ leaps actually have been discredited now

Jellybabie3 Tue 22-May-18 13:32:03

Thanks brighton that is reassuring. Weve been a little tough on him maybe as hes learned a new scream (practicing noises atm) which I think hes learned gets us running (clever little mite) so sometimes we wonder if hes being a little toad to get extra bedtime cuddles (which are glorious but we dont want to be a 'thing' after weeks of him learning to self settle). I also dont give calpol in the day as theres usually enough distraction/teething toys etc. I suspect theres someone separation anxiety going on too. Tonight I will see what happens and give the ibuprofen if he wakes up as you say so quick. It didnt help he missed a nap (my bad really but unavoidable)

Interesting what you say about wonder weeks! My DS hasnt always matched up with them tbh so I do take them with a pinch of salt. Usually with my DS its 1 good week, 1 bad week (if its not a cold, hes too hot, hes teething etc.....all good fun!!)

arbrighton Tue 22-May-18 17:26:25

Sorry, he is in no way old enough to be able to make those links and 'manipulate' you like that

Electromagnetic Tue 22-May-18 20:08:30

Dear Lord give him the drugs! If you think he's teething and he's visibly distressed please don't be afraid to administer medicine to help him get his much needed rest! If you had a headache would you not take paracetamol? This is absolutely no different! It's completely safe to use if dosed appropriately and will ease his pain.

Bananarama12 Tue 22-May-18 20:19:00

If he's going to sleep within ten minutes of giving him the ibuprofen he definitely needs it! I give mine it all through the night with anbesol if needed and then just those teething powders in the day. Next time your DH is in pain tell him he can't just have drugs!

Jellybabie3 Tue 22-May-18 22:02:31

Yes absolutely i have continued to do so. I guess from his point of view its more difficult to distinguish between 'I'm tired, clingy or fussy' and 'I am in pain' me being with him 24/7 means I may be more in tune. Not to discredit DH that is. I just was after some reassurance. Thanks!

Jellybabie3 Tue 22-May-18 22:08:45

Id like to add we do use teething powders/gels etc before calpol/ibro. We dont leave him with nothing! Just try alternatives first

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: