Talk

Advanced search

Early Rising

(13 Posts)
gigi556 Wed 25-Apr-18 06:46:55

I know there was a thread not that long ago about this but I can't find it!

DS is nearly 11 months and has always been an early riser. 6:30am is a lie-in. Has anyone successfully altered the routine to get their baby to sleep later. 7-7:30 would be ideal!

He naps 2x around 9 and 1/2pm. Length varies from 45-90 mins. Bedtime around 7. Sleeps through until about 4:30 when he comes into bed with us. Can't seem to get him to settle in his room at that point. I think he's in a very light sleep. Then he's up for the day 45-60 mins later. A couple days ago he never went back to sleep at the 4:30am wake-up!

If he naps well later in the afternoon, we might put him to bed later but this doesn't seem to make a difference with the wake up time.

gigi556 Thu 26-Apr-18 06:03:37

Bumping

GreenStars Thu 26-Apr-18 06:05:00

No help but I'm in the exact same situation. It's a nightmare!

MyOtherProfile Thu 26-Apr-18 06:06:52

I feel your pain. We had two like this, 20 months apart. We never cracked it and now as preteens they still show no signs of sleeping in. Would love to offer helpful advice but we spent years being exhausted so all I can offer is sympathy!

Ivegotfamilyandidrinkcupsoftea Thu 26-Apr-18 06:27:58

18 month old ds does this too

Hes currently been up since 330

FortheloveofJames Thu 26-Apr-18 14:38:19

Is he hungry when he wakes? Are you offering anything?

gigi556 Fri 27-Apr-18 07:18:32

@FortheloveofJames I'm not sure... He was up at 4:20 this morning. Ive stopped nursing him at night and not sure what to do. I've tried dummy and cuddle and nursing. I nursed this morning no luck getting him back to sleep.

His bedtime is around 7 but depends on last nap, how tired etc. I wonder if we should try a more strict bedtime either earlier or later... idk!

The other thing I've thought of is just go with it and pop him in the buggy and go workout at the park now it's light out. I aim for bed before 10 but really need to be in bed for 8 for these wake ups!

jkl0311 Fri 27-Apr-18 07:35:43

Hang in there this age it might be a phase, my lo went through a phase of 5am starts for weeks just as I went back to work, in the end I spoke to hv as I was at breaking point she gave me some tips (CIO, wean off bottles etc in the night) one rough week now once every 6 weeks or so we have a blip 4am but up between 6.15 and 7 every day!

FortheloveofJames Fri 27-Apr-18 07:36:03

I was just asking because if he’s going to bed at 7 and not waking till then that is still a good chunk of sleep and he may very well be hungry. My DS is 11 months and has literally just dropped his 4/5am nurse and now sleeps till 6.30/7. I remember I spoke to a sleep consultant (wasn’t using her services we just got chanting once at a baby event) and she said that sometimes she would still advise an early morning feed in the first year to avoid a super early wake time. I take anytime after 6 as a wake up time, if babies are going to bed early then that’s still 11 hours and they can only sleep so long, and some just never do this mythical 12 hours others seem to 😂

Now are his naps during the day? Is he eating a lot of solids? How much milk is he having?

TittyGolightly Fri 27-Apr-18 07:37:02

Friend tried everything. Her daughter was just a dyed in the wool early riser.

She’s now 7 and wakes closer to 6am than 5am.

FostersHomeForImaginaryFriends Fri 27-Apr-18 07:37:56

I think some kids are just like that. My 2 year old is up at 5.30 every morning without fail, regardless of if he's gone to bed at 7 or at 10. I just go to bed early and feel grateful he sleeps through!

FostersHomeForImaginaryFriends Fri 27-Apr-18 07:39:27

Actually weirdly enough you might try an earlier bedtime. Early waking can be a sign of overtiredness. At that age my ds needed to be in bed by 6.30.

mrsfee Fri 27-Apr-18 07:40:14

I have an almost 2yo going through phases of 5am wake ups, 4.30 today sad The really frustrating thing is the lack of consistency, Monday and Tuesday (working days) he wasn't awake until 6/6.30 hmm

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: