Talk

Advanced search

When do I move baby to cot...

(17 Posts)
OnNaturesCourse Wed 21-Mar-18 14:18:57

19 weeks old today and still in our room using a snuzpod. I know the advice is moving them to their own room around 6months but I genuinely don't think LO or I will be ready for that. I like LO in our room, next to us - LO is sleeping through but does have a habit of waking up occasionally to check we are there, if we are then go back to sleep and if not will scream. I like the attachment part of her being there.

I've started trying naps in her own room but to no success. She'll only nap in her buggy, downstairs with us pottering around about her.

In terms of size, the snuzpod is still adequate but I don't see it being so for long. Can't move the cot into our room as it would be dismantling it and rebuilding it in our room due to the small widths of our doors. (although I'm tempted to try persuade DP to do this...)

What are your experiences?

icantdothis2017 Wed 21-Mar-18 14:33:53

The advice isn't to move at 6 months.
The advice is to keep baby in same room for all sleeps till 6 months.

OnNaturesCourse Wed 21-Mar-18 14:36:29

Thanks. I miscommunicated that part.

greenmagpie Wed 21-Mar-18 14:37:51

I waited about 8 months with dc1 but he was getting way too big for the Next 2me. When I moved him it was actually fine, main problem was I had to keep going in to get him his dummy but that settled shOrtly after. You might be surprised at how easy it is (fingers xd)

happymummy12345 Wed 21-Mar-18 14:38:31

We were lucky in that we were able to put the cot in place of the crib in our room once ds was too big for the crib, around 4 and a half months.
I wanted ds in our room as long as possible (16 months he was when we moved him).

OnNaturesCourse Wed 21-Mar-18 14:39:34

We have the dummy trouble too, I'm pretty sure I give it back in my sleep now! I can hear it being spat out from miles away lol

welshweasel Wed 21-Mar-18 14:40:31

Mine was average size and stayed in the snuzpod in our room until 7.5 months. We unattached it from our bed and moved it to the corner of the room at 5 months ish.

OnNaturesCourse Wed 21-Mar-18 14:40:42

HappyMummy... How did the move go at 16months?

BridgetJonesDaiquiri Wed 21-Mar-18 14:46:28

Mine stayed in her sleepyhead in her snuzpod until just over 7 months, then we transitioned her to her own room. We bought the next size up sleepyhead for her big cot, so the transition was pretty seamless, although we had the dummy trouble for a month or two before she learned how to find and put in back in her mouth. Now at almost a year I only have to go in the room if she’s flung it through the cot bars 🙄 or she’s lying on it!

She’s a long baby but was fine in her snuzpod until over 7 months - the only issue is the low(ish) sides when they can sit up.

Naschkatze Wed 21-Mar-18 14:48:29

Like PPs my DS stayed in the side sleeper crib for quite a while after 6 months because he was a late crawler and I was confident he wouldn’t tip himself over the edge. I think he was around 9 months when we switched to cot.

The cot is still pushed up against our bed with one side off. He is 12 months now. I’ve got no plans to move him yet, DH would like him out grin

OnNaturesCourse Wed 21-Mar-18 14:58:00

I think my DP has the 6month mark in his sights, and I know that's just not going to happen 😂

crazycatlady5 Wed 21-Mar-18 19:06:26

14 months and no plan to move yet.

Duckies Wed 21-Mar-18 19:11:58

7 months and we've just moved back into the master bedroom and kicked DH out grin

Seriously though, it is all for a very short time, as long as you're all getting some sleep don't be a slave to the weekly milestones. Your DC will probably be a whole other baby by then!

FATEdestiny Wed 21-Mar-18 20:18:10

Rebuild the cot in your room.

You will get several months use out of it. Definitely worth the 30 ish minutes work it will take take down and rebuild.

OnNaturesCourse Thu 22-Mar-18 16:43:56

Cot has been dismantled before and it was a nightmare - definitely more than a hour to do it all - but you're right I think it would be best even if it meant absolutely no room in the main bedroom.

FATEdestiny Thu 22-Mar-18 18:21:14

The first time you put it up always takes ages, you get better and quicker at it.

I also have to dismantle to move the cot. Over the course of 4 children (and 3 cots) each being moved between rooms several times (as well as cot sides being removed as we swapped between sidecar/cot/bed), I bet I could dismantle a cot with my eyes closed.

If it took you an hour for two of you to build first time, I'd say it'll take 2 of you 30 mins next time and if you end up doing another false-start move, you'll probably be able to dismantle on your own in half an hour next time.

OnNaturesCourse Thu 22-Mar-18 21:48:06

We've moved it three times and it's horrific. Mamas and papas... Built to last, never to move 😂 think we will just need to suck it up and move it again

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: