Advanced search

4 year old suddenly a nightmare at bedtime

(9 Posts)
Paranormalbouquet Tue 13-Mar-18 21:03:15

My DD (4 next week) has always been a fairly good sleeper- usually we would go to bed at 730, read some stories and she would go to sleep before 8pm. Usually wakes 630-730.

For the past 3 weeks she has been a nightmare at bedtime. Point blank refusing to lie down, getting up, turning lights on, running around, coming downstairs. We’ve continuously just put her back to bed and say nothing but she’s not gone to sleep until 930pm any night this week. She’s currently singing loudly. She’s still bouncing around at 7am but presume she must be tired as isn’t getting nearly enough sleep.

Any suggestions? I’ve just had a miscarriage and am anaemic and absolutely exhausted so need to get some downtime!

Paranormalbouquet Wed 14-Mar-18 09:30:51

Bumping for the day!

crazycatlady5 Wed 14-Mar-18 19:29:25

Why do you assume she must be tired? Not all children need the same amount of sleep, I understand it must be tough for you but if she doesn’t seem tired in the morning it sounds like she’s getting enough sleep!

Justmuddlingalong Wed 14-Mar-18 19:34:57

I would put her bedtime back a bit, short term. Start the routine at 8pm. Then you cut out the stress of trying to settle her when she's obviously not tired. It eats in to your evening but for the time being it's worth a go. Sorry for your troubles. flowers

Paranormalbouquet Wed 14-Mar-18 19:36:17

Because 9-9.5 hours is very little for a preschooler, and she’s very ratty in the evenings. I wouldn’t mind keeping her up later but she’s yawning and cranky by 730. Just refuses to settle to sleep.

HotCrossBun12 Wed 14-Mar-18 19:44:53

No expertise here I'm afraid, but just wanted to say that I'm sorry things have been so tough recently. The suggestion about a later bedtime seems sensible, even if it's just for a while.

mummyoftwo5 Wed 14-Mar-18 20:04:50

Hi @Paranormalbouquet . My DD has recently had a few months like this, back to normal now though and asleep by 8pm! I just stuck with same bedtime and that she stayed in her room, me going up often to tell her to get into bed haha! I kept bedtime the same as I worried that changing bedtime would then become the new norm and then evenings would be lost forever shock

Paranormalbouquet Wed 14-Mar-18 20:38:50

Thanks all, while I would like more downtime in the evenings I’m genuinely worried about her lack of sleep. She’s stroppy and tearful at the slightest thing in the evening which isn’t like her.

Ebonycat Sat 17-Mar-18 08:13:58

When my eldest suddenly went through a refusing to go to sleep stage at 2.5yrs I bought some 'most relaxing music ever' type CDs and would put one of these on for her to listen to. I'd put the volume very low so she had to lay quietly in bed to hear it. It worked a treat!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now