Talk

Advanced search

Sleep resistant 4 week old

(7 Posts)
GreenEyedGirl01 Thu 22-Feb-18 07:08:47

In the last week or so our 4 week old has become much more alert - which is great, until it isn’t. The day before yesterday he refused to sleep other than a couple of 20 min naps until about 7pm when he zonked out. Yesterday he was awake from about 3.30 to midnight.

He isn’t content during these awake periods, he screams and screams and his little eyes look exhausted. He doesn’t seem to give many tiredness signs, we go from happy to screaming in seconds.

I’ve tried shh patting, feeding (bf), swaddling, dummy, pram, car - with no luck. Any ideas on getting a 4 week old to sleep?! I’m worried these long awake periods must be bad for his development and it’s horrible hearing him cry!

Fluteytootey Thu 22-Feb-18 07:10:25

Do you have a sling? My DS just can't stay awake if I pop him in the sling and go for a walk round the block

teaandbiscuitsforme Thu 22-Feb-18 11:47:55

Does he not fall asleep when you're feeding him? If so, make sure you've got everything you need before you feed and get comfy for a couple of hours on the sofa with a box set on.

Also try feeding lying down in your bed so that you get to rest as well.

And the sling is an absolute godsend for getting out of the house for a walk or for doing jobs whilst they sleep.

KatnissK Thu 22-Feb-18 11:53:11

Co-sleep and feed to sleep. Or I had a bouncer chair with a vibration setting - DS used to nap with the vibration on max and being bounced quite vigorously! Worked a treat!

GreenEyedGirl01 Thu 22-Feb-18 16:02:24

Thanks all. He sometimes will feed to sleep but when he’s really wound up even that doesn’t seem to work.

Vibrating bouncy chair doesn’t seem to do it. I don’t have a sling though, will definitely look into getting one.

Today started off ok but now he’s been awake since 10.30 even though I can see how badly he needs some rest!!

FATEdestiny Thu 22-Feb-18 16:43:52

Is this your first child? Sounds like you have underestimated the significant (and prolonged) amount of help babies need to get to sleep and stay asleep. They rarely just go to sleep. And all the things you suggest you tried, I'd suggest you didn't preserver for long enough and keep going consistently enough.

Failsafe method for a tiny newborn (ie under 6 weeks):

- full tummy. You will never get a hungry baby to sleep, no matter what you do
- well winded. Wind pain will always disrupt sleep. At least 1 burp after every feed
- Swaddle, tight around shoulders, for security and protection feelings
- gentle swaying movement, like in the womb
- close to your body while swaying, face close to babies throughout
- shushing constantly (or white noise loud)
- sucking is nature's soothing method for babies. Help baby to actively sucking a dummy.

Keep going non stop for as long as it takes. Then 10-20m after going to sleep. Gently and slowly put down, keeping your night close. Stay physically lying over baby once lying flat, face close your baby's. Wait. Be patient. Stay there for several mins before withdrawing. Don't rush.

SleepQuick Fri 23-Feb-18 16:31:35

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: