Talk

Advanced search

Every hour - 8months old

(18 Posts)
Pingu49 Wed 21-Feb-18 07:17:15

My LO has never been a good sleeper. Despite a solid bedtime routine he always wakes about 2-3 times a night and sleeps no more than 3-4 hours at a time during the night.

However at a week shy of 8 months he's all of a sudden decided to wake every HOUR for the last couple of nights 😩. He wakes screaming! I tried giving him nurofen in case he was feeling unwell, sometimes milk got him back to sleep, sometimes not.

Help?!

Pingu49 Wed 21-Feb-18 08:54:11

Has anyone experienced similar?

Sipperskipper Wed 21-Feb-18 10:30:49

How does he go to sleep? And what is your daily routine like with naps and sleep etc?

user1499786242 Wed 21-Feb-18 10:37:42

My little boy woke every hour from about 8 months until he was 2! No joke!
It almost killed me!
No advice as we tried quite a few things
The only thing that made him sleep longer was weaning him (breastmilk)
Now he will sleep 2-3 hours and he's 2.5!

It's shit!

Pingu49 Wed 21-Feb-18 11:33:08

Bedtime routine starts at 7pm. He has a bath, story and cuddles and a bottle. Out into his cot drowsy at around 7:30.

2-3 times a night has become the 'norm' which I'm fine with. But every hour out of nowhere, what the hell!?

Pingu49 Wed 21-Feb-18 11:34:02

Oh. And two naps.

About an hour or so at 10am then another at about 3pm. Only other sleep is when we are in the car he will nod off. These are just short journeys though.

Sweetpeabec Wed 21-Feb-18 13:17:43

Think it’s the 3pm nap. I’ve read all naps should be finished by 3pm. The nap windows are 9-10am and 12-2pm.

DenPerry Wed 21-Feb-18 13:56:55

Hey OP, I can sympathise! My first was an amazing sleeper, but DS2 has been an hourly/sometimes half hourly waker for about 6 months. In his case, it's 3 reasons I think:
-teething really fast, already got 8 teeth when turned 1
- been chesty since birth
- more windy than his brother

BUT! He turned 1 last week and literally as the clock struck midnight on his birthday, he only woke up twice through a 12 hr sleep! A few days after that he slept 6 hours in a row. And then last night he slept 7 hours in a row! He's napping more through the day, not less. So there is hope for you, just hang on in there. Sometimes there is no problem for you to solve, it's a case of waiting for them to grow out of it.

UnaOfStormhold Wed 21-Feb-18 14:13:57

Thrre is an 8-10 month sleep regression,and it was absolutely the pits! I think it's a combination of separation anxiety and becoming more mobile. We started sleeping in shifts which helped a lot by making sure we each got a solid stretch of sleep.

Pingu49 Wed 21-Feb-18 14:29:48

We never quite recovered from the 4 month regression 😂😩.

I definitely agree with the "more mobile" comment. Everytime he wakes he's either trying to crawl about the cot or pulling himself up on the side.

Thanks for the replies ladies x

FortheloveofJames Wed 21-Feb-18 14:38:17

I wouldn’t necessarily think it’s the 3pm nap. My DS is always asleep at this point, i don’t let him nap past 4pm. After getting up at 7ish he’s no way ready for a nap at 9, he’s comfortably going 3 hours between naps. I can’t say I’ve noticed a difference in his sleep if he’s been up by 3.

Does sound as though it could be the 8-10 month regression- normally happening due to developing new skills or separation anxiety. If it’s only been a couple of nights I’d just ride it out at the moment- it could just be a phase. Apparently the 8-10 month regression is different to the 4 month one in that it only lasts at most a few weeks. Could still be teething, have you tried Anbesol?

I know it’s the pits when they wake so often- I’ve been there too. You are doing a fantastic job though!

FortheloveofJames Wed 21-Feb-18 14:39:14

Sorry I’ve just seen your comment above mine- sounds as though he’s practising those new skills of his!

Pingu49 Wed 21-Feb-18 14:40:50

Yes, we're using anbesol. Speaking of which, I forget gravity existed last night and tipped the open bottle upside down all over the cot 🙈😂. Dashed out this morning for some more!

I'm hoping (in the nicest way possible) he's just been a bit under the weather the last couple of nights and it's not any sort of 'phase'.

Thank you SO much for that last comment though, that means so much when you're feeling a bit deflated!

UnaOfStormhold Wed 21-Feb-18 14:55:54

Yes, I have to say that the regressions did sort of blur into one another! It was never quite as bad as 8-9 months though, there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

Chloeeee Wed 21-Feb-18 15:11:23

I'm having a similar time with my little girl.. she's 7 months old and has gone from sleeping through 12 minimum to being awake every hour! My oldest who is 2 had this around 8 months and it didn't last long honestly it was a week to 10 days tops! Although my 7month old has been like this for about 3 weeks! But she's getting better we've gone from hourly wake up calls to 1 a night!
Only advice I can offer which i have found to work are..
Make sure he's getting enough sleep in the day - something my dd stopped completely!
With the milk I've slowly reduced that wake up at stupid o'clock night feed by an oz every night or so we're now at 2 oz.. I think it becomes a comfort for them.
And lastly I did by one of these amber teething anklets in sheer desperation whilst listening to my dd cry at 2 am.. and since she's had it on .. she's 100 times better.. weather she's snapped out of her phase or it helps.. I'm not sure!
Hopefully he will get back to his routine sleeps asap! Nothing worse than feeling like a zombie x

giddyasakipper Wed 21-Feb-18 15:21:34

I'm suffering with the same from my 8.5 month old. You have my sympathy but unfortunately I'm struggling to find a solution as well! I spent hours and hours trying to settle her the other night and she woke up 20 minutes later!

Oly5 Wed 21-Feb-18 15:24:25

Ah, it’s just babies. No rhyme or reason quite often. They will sleep well eventually!

SleepQuick Fri 23-Feb-18 16:36:17

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: