Advanced search

Sleeping on a 14h flight

(6 Posts)
user1484167681 Tue 20-Feb-18 10:27:05

Hi everyone! In 6 weeks I’ll be taking a 14 hour flight with a 9 week old. I’ve ended up booking him an adult seat, because it was the same price as booking a bassinet(!), but wondering now if I’ve made the right choice.

I was planning to take a car seat and let him sleep in that, but I’ve read that babies shouldn’t sleep for more than 2 hours and ideally not more than 30 mins in a car seat... any ideas for how to lay him flat safely?? Will I just need to alternate between holding him and putting him in the seat for an hour at a time? Lay him flat on the seat in a blanket and use the adult belt on him?

We’re going in Premium Economy with Norwegian Air, in case that’s relevant (so the plane will be a 787 Dreamliner).

crazycatlady5 Tue 20-Feb-18 12:19:19

Let him sleep on you? Wouldn’t that be easier?

crazycatlady5 Tue 20-Feb-18 12:19:52

...or do you have no other adult going with you? In which case I’m sure you’d like to sleep a bit too and can’t do that sitting up with the babe!

TheFlis12345 Tue 20-Feb-18 12:26:01

As you have a baby you should be allocated the bassinet seat anyway so should have the option of both (double check with the airline though).

woodlanddreamer Tue 20-Feb-18 12:26:03

Can you change it back to a bassinet?
As an aside, Norwegian premium economy is great, although we couldn't get comfortable in the seats at all - at least we weren't squashed but the seats don't seem designed for any size of normal human being. And take a pillow, ear plugs & eye mask if you want/need them. Unless things have changed they don't provide those things.

Caterina99 Wed 21-Feb-18 03:43:56

I flew 8 hours when my DD was 8 weeks and back again at 12 weeks. We had the option of the bassinet but I didn’t even try to use it as experience with my DS told me that it takes them forever to settle in it and then you have to take them out for turbulence.

She slept the entire flight apart from feeds in a baby carrier on me. You can’t use it for take off and landing

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now