Advanced search

How to ween my 4 month old off his dummy

(10 Posts)
SaajansMummy Mon 19-Feb-18 16:58:48

Hi all..

I have got to the stage now where I would like to get my 4 month old off the dummy and get him to learn to sleep without it., has anyone got any ideas on how I can do this as I have no clue where to start! Just for info he only using it to go sleep I don't really give him dummy in the day

bekindtome Mon 19-Feb-18 22:31:04

I wouldn't at 4 months. I've only done it when older and they went to the dummy fairy for exchange for a present

Dontsweathesmallstuff Mon 19-Feb-18 23:04:44

Why do you feel the need to wean him off it?

I wouldnt worry at 4 months either especially if it helps him sleep.
You could try and see if he settles easily without it. If it involves lots of stress and crying then I wouldn't do it yet especially at such a young age.

ds1 was easy to wean of the dummy at around 5-6 months so we did.
ds2 never wanted one.
ds3 would've screamed the place down for days if i tried to wean him off at 4 months, he slept with one until he was 2, then got over it in one night after crying for 20 minutes.

MrsBriteSide Tue 20-Feb-18 07:35:57

I think four months is too young to take it away. You’ll be glad of it as a source of comfort when teething kicks in!

pastabest Tue 20-Feb-18 07:43:53

All the SIDS guidance around dummies says that once you have introduced one you shouldn't really take it away again until 12 months.

If it's providing comfort why take it away?

SaajansMummy Tue 20-Feb-18 08:00:44

Oh okay I didn't realise it was too young to do so... maybe I will just have to wait it out.. the only reason I wanted to do this is because I seem to be up every hour putting the dummy back into his mouth.. I still feed 2-3 times in the night, and he will generally fall asleep after the feed without his dummy but then be up wanting it half a hour later... just very tired I guess!

itstheyearzero Tue 20-Feb-18 08:03:38

Get a sleepytot! It will save your sanity smile

TeachesOfPeaches Tue 20-Feb-18 08:04:04

Get several dummies and scatter them all around him in his cot

pastabest Tue 20-Feb-18 08:06:52

I left the cot littered with dummies. They do start putting them back in themselves eventually. My DD was about 5 months when she learnt how to do it but I think that was on the early side and that it's more usual around 7-8 months.

At 4 months old it's likely there may also be the 4 month sleep regression happening which will be leading to increased waking. You might find if you ride the wave for the next few weeks things start to improve.

SaajansMummy Tue 20-Feb-18 14:17:56

Thanks guys I will try the multiple dummy's and see how we get on.. not sure he will be able to put it back in himself yet but will keep trying! Xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now