Talk

Advanced search

13 month old waking up for bottle

(4 Posts)
user1497937712 Sun 18-Feb-18 21:21:07

Hey all! My 13 month old has slept through 7 til 7 since around 6 months. She has two bottles a day (morning and evening) and 3 meals plus snacks. Recently she has been waking once in the night each night between 2 and 4am, she is screaming and inconsolable. The only way she will calm down is if we give her a bottle but we've been doing this for a week now and I'm worried she's getting reliant on feeding in the night. Or could it be a growth spurt? Thanks in advance!

fluffonthesideboard Mon 19-Feb-18 04:27:51

It sounds like shes waking up because shes hungry. Having just one bottle in the morning or evening isn't enough ay that age. Milk provides 80% of an infants nutrition until 1 and food does not become more important than milk before on average 18 months. After that they will still need milk until at least 2. Try not offering the snacks and offer milk instead. Her tummy is probably just filling up on food and shes not getting the calouries from milk smile whole cows milk is fine at this age x

user1492964816 Mon 19-Feb-18 15:01:03

My little one is on 2 bottles a day morning and evening and 3 meals a day (Altho him eating some days is questionable!)

Have you tried offering water at night? Maybe add another small milk in the day like suggested above- to see if it makes a difference? smile x

wintertravel1980 Mon 19-Feb-18 19:58:51

Having just one bottle in the morning or evening isn't enough ay that age. Milk provides 80% of an infants nutrition until 1 and food does not become more important than milk before on average 18 months.

Sorry but it is plain wrong. I know Kellymom says something similar but this is not a view shared by health care professionals. Guidelines issued by the First Nutrition Trust and used by health visitors stipulate (on page 4):

By 10-12 months of age, the amount of milk consumed should be around 400ml per day as food takes over as the main source of energy and nutrients.

firststepsnutrition.org/pdfs/How_much_milk%20_is_needed_by_infants_and_young_children_Feb16.pdf

No, food before one is not just for fun. If a 13 month old baby is hungry, I would offer more solids rather than milk.

My DD is exactly the same age and the only thing that may lead to inconsolable crying during the night is teething (DD is currently cutting her fourth molar and it is definitely painful). It may also be worth ruling out an ear infection. If there are no underlying health issues, I would try and increase solids intake during the day and offer water during night wakings.

Good luck!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: