Talk

Advanced search

Please tell me I’m not losing my mind!!

(8 Posts)
Liverpoolmumof1 Wed 14-Feb-18 12:36:34

Hi all

I’ve previously posted about my DDs problems with feeding and sleeping and was given some great advice.

She is now 17 weeks, still suffering badly with silent reflux and cows milk protein allergy. As a result she hardly sleeps during the day!

She is on 1.2mg of ranitidine for the reflux and neocate for the dairy allergy but this was only started yesterday. The ranitidine is useless. I have asked for a trial of omeprazole but have been refused as the side effects are worse than reflux apparently.

I’m now at the point where I have a screaming child constantly and, even though it kills me to see her like that, I feel like I just can’t carry her round anymore! I can’t keep soothing her (even though I’ve never stopped). She cries no matter what I do and she won’t sleep in the day.

I’m starting to think that the symptoms I see are things I’ve looked for as they don’t get taken seriously by anyone else! I took her to a cranio-osteopath this week who examined her - DD laughed and smiled all the way through. The osteopath said to DD “I think your mummy just doesn’t know you very well yet”.

What am I doing wrong?

beckieperk Wed 14-Feb-18 13:54:38

Nothing..and I'm surprised you didnt punch the osteopath. grin
My ds1 was like this (except dairy alergy although looking back perhaps he had more than reflux). I tried everything to sooth and nothing worked. I thought i was losing my mind back then too. No real advice as eventually it passed, but keep doing what you're doing.
Does your dc sleep when on side or front?
Good luck. flowers

Liverpoolmumof1 Wed 14-Feb-18 16:00:08

She used to be able to sleep on her front after falling asleep on me but not anymore. She even fights going to sleep on me now. She’s not too bad of a night though.

How long did it take to pass for you?

I must say, I was absolutely gutted with what the osteopath said. It sort of hit a raw nerve that it is just me unsettling her. I’m a FTM so a few people have tried to convince me I’m being neurotic x

crazycatlady5 Wed 14-Feb-18 19:58:59

That osteopath is bang out of order for starters. She should know how new mums are feeling sensitive about everything angry I’m so sorry you’re going through this, your little one sounds in a lot of discomfort, has the medication been checked/dose etc? Also I recommend getting a sling they are a godsend x

Liverpoolmumof1 Wed 14-Feb-18 22:57:43

Yeah her dose has been upped recently but it seems to have only decreased her appetite but not made the reflux much better.

She doesn’t like the sling that much - she likes having her face next to mine (particular baby).

Thank you so much for your comment though. Xx

123456kent Wed 14-Feb-18 23:03:12

This makes me sad as my baby is also 17 weeks, hard to handle sometimes but compared to what you are going through sounds a lot easier. I hope things get better soon, you aren’t imagining it or going mad or being neurotic, you know best. I hope you find a solution to make life easier shortly💐

beckieperk Thu 15-Feb-18 03:21:26

For me things didn't really improve until he started eating...which meant less milk. This was about 4 or 5 months old. Even after this he was unsettled, but it made an improvement. He's always been a bit frantic......now he's 6.5 and still full of beans!
All babies are different though so your lo might improve sooner.
How have things been today?

Liverpoolmumof1 Thu 15-Feb-18 06:59:06

Thank you 123456kent.

Beckieperk - yesterday was horrific. I ended up putting her in the pram and walking around the local park for 3 hours crying (me not her). Last night I saw a massive deterioration in her night sleeping which has always been mt one solace (she’s always settled ok of a night with just one night feed or the occasional return of the dummy). She’s had me up since 3, completely unable to settle back to sleep properly. She’s so tired and I can see it in her because she drops off and wakes again with a jolt a few minutes later. I’ve just had to leave the room (my husband is with her) because I can feel myself starting to lose it.

I just know that today is going to be complete hell because she’s missed the only restorative sleep she usually gets.

We started weaning this week on the advice of the paediatrician, although she is only having very small amounts.

X

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: