Talk

Advanced search

6 month night feed

(6 Posts)
KLM84 Tue 13-Feb-18 07:25:52

Hi all, looking for some advice. My 6 month old wakes about 3:30/4 am for a bottle. I don't mind the night feed as it's a lovely time for us but when he wakes at 6am he doesn't need a feed and then will not take a bottle until lunch time. I suppose my question is does he need this night feed if he won't then Take a bottle until nearly 12pm or is he just in a habit of waking for it?

NinaMarieP Tue 13-Feb-18 07:48:26

My 6m old has a feed around that time as well, but he'll also have one at 7/8 then 11/12.

It does seem odd that he'll go 8 hours in the morning without a feed. I don't usually suggest it but have you tried not feeding at that time? Offering dummy/cuddles etc? Obviously if he lasted until 6am then that way you can both sleep through!

KLM84 Tue 13-Feb-18 08:07:03

I try and give him a dummy but it doesn't seem to settle him, I'm still quite scarred to bring him into bed with me so haven't tried cuddles yet although at 6 months it might be ok to do that now. I just worry about him not drinking anything with breakfast and until his lunch.

Eeeeek2 Tue 13-Feb-18 08:18:53

I cut out night feeds at 1 because he was still feeding 2/3 times a night, by replacing a bottle with warm water (from perfect prep) he was waking for comfort and just wanted the bottle from habit. So I'd try that personally and see if it'll settle your ds.

KLM84 Tue 13-Feb-18 08:22:39

Thank you, someone had told me to try this before but wasn't sure I could from 6 months. I might give this a try fb the cuddles don't work. How many nights did you give water before baby stopped waking?

NinaMarieP Tue 13-Feb-18 10:04:18

I think 6months is probably a safe time to gently try it. Obviously if you offer water and he's then screaming in hunger it's not going to work but it's worth a try.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now