Talk

Advanced search

7 1/2 month old random night wakings

(4 Posts)
Passmethecrisps Mon 12-Feb-18 09:56:38

Morning all,

I have a 71/2 month old dd who is making me a bit potty at the moment. Her sleep has always been variable - some night she can pull out 7 or 8 hours (not very often but it has happened) and others it is every hour and twenty minutes all night.

What is really bothering me at the moment though is lengthy wakings. So she wakes and then stays awake for up for three hours on occasion. She seems tired but can’t seem to tip back over into sleep. When I hold her she might sleep but immediately wakes when I put her back down.

For brevity our sleep conditions are:

Swaddled (I know, I know) for night time and naps
In the Next to Me
Uses a dummy (only since she was 6 months old weirdly)
Recently (two days ago) bought a MyHummy
Was BF. Still Bf during the night. Prescription formula during the day.

Day naps I struggle to get more than 30 minutes. Her eyes ping open despite her clearly being tired. Occasionally she can go longer though despite all conditions seeming the same. She has two naps a day. One at roughly 9:30 and one at roughly 12:30. This leaves a very long gap before bedtime but as older dd comes Home from School at 3:15 the chances of naps then are limited.

She took to weaning well but I feel her sleep got worse. I have tried cutting back solids or giving her something light for dinner but I can see no discernible difference.

Wise mumsnetters what can I do?

Passmethecrisps Mon 12-Feb-18 11:30:25

She woke from her nap literally on 30 minutes. That was 50 minutes ago and she is already yawning. I never know whether to try to stretch out gaps between naps or just go with it

BorahT Mon 12-Feb-18 19:15:50

My now 10mo went through a phase like this around 8 months, he didn’t want to be put down either and the only way he would settle after a feed at night time was to hold him in my arms and cuddle confused not ideal I know but t was better that we all slept. Also I went to bed at the same time as DS a few times a week which was absolutely necessary as I was about ready to have a breakdown! It has gotten slowly better, sleep is far from good but I starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Naps I’m afraid are hideous here too, I’ve never been able to put him down since he was a newborn so I’m afraid I’ve nothing useful for you there but I hope it gets better soon!

Passmethecrisps Mon 12-Feb-18 19:39:32

Thank you borah. Sorry to hear about naps but you have reassured me that things do get a bit better. Honestly I don’t really want to do any sleep training or get too rigorous if I don’t need to but things are not great really.

She napped earlier and woke at 45 minutes. I have her a cuddle and she fell immediately asleep again for another 45 minutes. I am not sure but I think she only woke because I was moving her a bit.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: