Talk

Advanced search

Baby struggling /groaning at night

(13 Posts)
pegleg92 Mon 12-Feb-18 05:04:34

Hi all

I'm at my wits end.

I've been struggling at night with my little man. Was breastfeeding for the first 4 weeks and now he's bottle fed. He's feeding a full 150ml of milk a time. Maybe 3 hours between each feed but always try and push to a 4th hour as not always actually hungry. He takes the milk very quickly and always has a big burp afterwards. He seems to fart a lot whilst feeding however. I keep him upright for about 15 mins afterwards. As soon as I put him down he whinges a lot. At night he makes some awful groaning noises and will not settle. I end up getting him back out the cot and sleeping him on my chest on his side or front and he is straight to sleep

He is never sick milk after feeding but sometimes a lot of dribble and will hiccup at least once everyday.
I've heard about silent reflux and was wondering if anyone could just give me some ideas before I head to the doctors

Would be nice to get some sleep back in my life ! And make sure little man isn't in any pain. Any help would be grateful 🤞

ReturnofSaturn Mon 12-Feb-18 05:25:37

Sounds exactly like me with my 3 week old. He's the same every night. Grumping and groaning and fidgeting and thrashing around for hours on end not going to sleep. And then only sleeping for like 10 mins.
I'm not getting any sleep either. sad

mrsprefect Mon 12-Feb-18 05:31:26

Have you tried Infacol? My HV recommended it when I told her I was worried about DS grunting and grumbling after night feeds, it has made a difference for him.

Hope you get some sleep soon sad

Ohb0llocks Mon 12-Feb-18 05:38:25

Some babies are just very grunty.

DS2 was like a little pig at that age. He's 15 weeks now and I can't remember the last time he grunted (that wasn't followed by a crap)!

Hang on in there, it gets easier.

SuperTimbs Mon 12-Feb-18 05:51:00

Some people swear that raising the head end of the baby's cot works to reduce silent reflux... stops the acid in the throat rising up and causing pain, maybe you could try this? I'd check about the angle with your HV though, just to be on the safe side. Good luck!!

jellycat1 Mon 12-Feb-18 05:51:51

My first son has silent reflux and it's definitely worth checking out. It might be a cmp allergy which is very common and usually disappears after they're weaned. But you may need special formula like nutramigen or neocate which is on prescription. He may need ranitidine or something too but I stopped using that as soon as we saw results with the neocate. I probably wouldn't put him on his front though.

SK12345 Mon 12-Feb-18 05:53:00

My daughter made the most ridiculous noises until about 12 weeks. I recorded them to play to the doctor as I was convinced they weren't right! She has stopped now (22 weeks) and just snores lightly! She does have reflux (which was initially silent and now here in full force!) and they say that reflux babies are particularly noisy, but if your baby is just making noises and not exhibiting any signs of pain etc then GP unlikely to prescribe anything I shouldn't think.

Good luck! It gets loads better! I thought I had made a terrible mistake in those early weeks and massively struggled. Try and sleep through the grunting if you can. I just decided to only pick her up if she actually cried otherwise leave her to it (was very loud mind you!) sleep deprivation is truly a form of torture so do try and look after yourself. They say to sleep when baby sleeps - maybe possible - wasn't for me as mine napped on me (!!) until 12 weeks when I started putting her on her front. Just try and get out every day for a walk at least, it helps loads.

Now, she's great fun. So yes it definitely does get easier.

pegleg92 Mon 12-Feb-18 06:24:18

Thanks everyone.

He does seem to be in some sort of pain. Face bright red. Legs rigid at times. Crying like I've been starving him for 12 hours. I've also recorded him to show the doctor incase they don't believe how bad it really is.

I have to take him out his cot. He was crying and crying. Laid him on his side on my stomach and now fast asleep like nothing is wrong

I do try and get at least haf hour walk everyday. Good for me and little man

Thanks for all the advice

AprilShowers16 Mon 12-Feb-18 06:37:37

I remember this with my first, he was really grungy and constantly thrashing around. I was convinced he had a milk allegory. But it did just pass and by about 8/10 weeks had stopped. Currently have a 3 week old who has just started moving and grunting at night so hoping it’s the same. This time I have a white noise toy which helps and also covers the grunting noise so I can fall asleep!

Countingsheeeep Mon 12-Feb-18 06:51:50

Mine did this, drove me potty. Look up grunting baby syndrome. It passes by around 12 weeks. She's still a noisy fidgety sleeper now at 1, but nothing in comparison and is in her own room so I can let her get on with it!

EEandEmakes3 Mon 12-Feb-18 07:12:08

My son does this. It started a few days after coming home from hospital. I would have to hold him so he could get some sleep. He's now on infant gaviscon and infacol. It's helped a lot, he's no longer crying, arching his back or pulling his legs up after feeding. The downside is that now he won't sleep in his crib as he's used to being held whilst sleeping 😔

zebrapig Mon 12-Feb-18 09:20:48

You've just described exactly now my lb is right now and it's driving me up the wall. He's 7 weeks (1 adjusted) and rarely settles well after a feed. It's ok in the day but the night times are driving me slowly mad. I'm at a loss what to do and just trying to ride it out although I'm thinking of trying co-sleeping as he went 4 hours straight in our bed last night. Hope it gets better for you soon.

Lemondrop99 Mon 12-Feb-18 23:25:45

Mine did this, drove me mad. Wentvob until about 3.5 months. Infacol and Gripe Water didn't help. Colief may have helped a bit. He did turn out to have silent reflux, so giving one of his ranitidine doses at night made a big difference for us.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now