Talk

Advanced search

baby falling asleep on playmat

(19 Posts)
user1518273119 Sat 10-Feb-18 18:39:17

Hi, I had a daughter in Dec and am trying to establish the easy routine. As soon as she wakes in the am I feed her and then get her washed and changed etc. But when I pop her down on her gym for a bit of play she just falls asleep! So although I'm not feeding her to sleep that is what happens and we get out of sync for the day.

She is only 8 weeks old so v small, but any advice would be great.

Thank you!

WinkyisbackontheButterBeer Sat 10-Feb-18 18:40:26

Let her sleep. She is tiny. Go with her routine and try not to stress yourself over it.

Kintan Sat 10-Feb-18 18:45:47

She is too young to be 'routined' - try again in a couple of months smile

Wolfiefan Sat 10-Feb-18 18:46:50

It's not the easy routine unless it suits you!
8 weeks old? Sleeping is good.

Snowydaysarehere Sat 10-Feb-18 18:47:44

My ds had all his naps on the floor! Was too worried dh would leave him alone on the sofa tbh!! Still does at toddler age, grabs a blanket and collapses on the carpet!!

honeysucklejasmine Sat 10-Feb-18 18:48:46

She's too young. Wait a while.

BootsAndCatsAndBootsAndCats Sat 10-Feb-18 18:48:59

Just let her get on with it. If she's tired and needs a nap then let her sleep. She has no idea what a routine is - she's only been in the world for 8 weeks!!

halfwitpicker Sat 10-Feb-18 18:49:12

Let her sleep please.

Soon she'll be toddling and you'll never sit down.

happymummy12345 Sat 10-Feb-18 18:50:17

Let her sleep. My ds fell asleep on his mat several times. I just let him sleep.

newyearsameme80 Sat 10-Feb-18 18:51:49

You need to sync with her not her with you.
I tried that Easy thing and it didn’t work me me - sleep always followed eat!

EssentialHummus Sat 10-Feb-18 18:52:39

She is only 8 weeks old so v small

This is the crux of it really. If the "easy" approach works for you, of course use it, but your daughter is telling you that she's tired.

DotCottonDotcom Sat 10-Feb-18 18:52:53

Sod it, leave her, my DD loved to play and then zonk out. Memorable moments, she used to fall asleep ANYWHERE.

Herculesupatree Sat 10-Feb-18 18:53:17

I'd take the positive that she doesn't need to be fed to sleep from this, that's quite rare!! If you know when she's likely to fall asleep on the playmat of cam spot signs of tiredness see if you can put her in her cot or basket to fall asleep there instead, maybe with a mobile over it? She's likely to get a more restful sleep on a proper mattress... but don't stress if it doesn't work.

I wouldn't wait 2 months to start a routine, if you can establish one between now and the 4 month sleep regression you will be in a better place for that. But you have to adapt the routines given in books to your own baby, it's not one size fits all!!

Josieannathe2nd Sat 10-Feb-18 18:54:36

You have a baby who currently goes to sleep without hours of rocking/shushing/feeding/drive in the car. Enjoy it while it lasts!

MrsJayy Sat 10-Feb-18 18:59:47

Getting up getting fed then getting dressed is exhausting for a teeny baby it really is ok for her to sleep she needs sleep to grow just let her nap and don't get to hung up about routines.

MrsJayy Sat 10-Feb-18 19:01:35

My dd used to do the same put her on her mat and she would fall asleep mid kick

TuckMyWin Sat 10-Feb-18 19:09:14

The point of the EASY routine is to separate feeding and sleeping so you don't have to feed to sleep. Falling asleep on the playmat meets the same brief, so I wouldn't stress about it, just enjoy the fact you've got the one baby in a hundred that falls asleep on her own when put down!

moggle Sat 10-Feb-18 19:10:41

Do you mean the “eat, activity, sleep, your time” routine? (For anyone wondering it’s not really a routine just an order of doing things that can work... there’s nothing about how long each stage should take so it is not prescriptive like say GF).
If so I would say she is actually following it! - the wash and change is her activity for that part of the day. My DD could barely stay awake half an hour on her first wake up of the day until she was about 3mo, and my new twins are the same. Just go with it and use the time to grab a shower and breakfast or just go back to bed!

museumum Sat 10-Feb-18 19:29:04

My ds fell into easy hinselfxat about three minutes moths because he’d only feed when dopey from just waking up.
I haven’t read the book but just to let you know they can do it when they’re older even if it doesn’t start young.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now