Talk

Advanced search

Newborn naps with toddler

(12 Posts)
Del3 Sat 10-Feb-18 16:05:53

Does anyone have any advice on settling a 4 week old baby with a toddler running around?

I’ve just spent 25 mins trying to rock baby, downstairs with loads of noise. I have to do it downstairs obviously as can’t leave my son, but he is running around going crazy slamming doors etc as he knows I’m busy. Then when I put baby down he screams and I start the whole process again! Does anyone have any tips?

Del3 Sat 10-Feb-18 18:27:59

Bump

DrRanjsRightEyebrow Sat 10-Feb-18 18:28:56

Baby in a sling? More likely to sleep amiddt noise if on you

DrRanjsRightEyebrow Sat 10-Feb-18 18:29:03

*amidst

Snowydaysarehere Sat 10-Feb-18 18:29:25

The only thing I would say is rocking for 25 mins is madness - admit defeat and find other ways to settle!!

LittleBearPad Sat 10-Feb-18 18:32:24

Go for a walk. I spent a lot of time in playgrounds with running around toddler and DS asleep in his prom.

ItchySeveredFoot Sat 10-Feb-18 18:34:07

How old is toddler? Would putting the tv on for the toddler work?

MadC0w Sat 10-Feb-18 18:34:13

My second is now 4 months old and I have a 2.5 year old. The sling has been where 90% of my baby's naps have happened, only now am I starting to try & change it. Free hands are pretty essential! It's hard, good luck!

LittleBearPad Sat 10-Feb-18 18:35:08

Also TV was a lifesaver for keeping DD entertained when I sat down to feed (or just wanted to sit down)

Caterina99 Sun 11-Feb-18 02:50:13

DS is 2.5. DD is 4 months. This issue will only get worse as your baby gets more alert and harder to settle for naps.

I either - use the swing - go out so DD falls asleep in car seat or pram or baby carrier - put the tv on for DS and take DD to another room.

ChocolateDollyMixture Sun 11-Feb-18 07:00:02

My DS is nearly 2.5 and DD 5months. I can't leave DS downstaires on his own EXCEPT if Peppa Pig is on -the world could collapse and he wouldn't know type of concentration goes on!
I tell him that I'm going to put his sister up to bed and that I'll be two minutes. Sometimes her nap coincides with snack time in which case perfect! I admit DD does go down for naps well but I've had to be tougher with her, with my DS I would stay with him until fully asleep, DD has had to learn to self-soothe quickly as can't stay upstairs with her.
I am less than 2 mins....then have to endure the rest of Peppa Pig I promised 😤

Do what you can to keep toddler quiet -TV, snack -to give you time to settle baby but look to reducing time it takes to settle baby.

Fleurchamp Sun 11-Feb-18 11:09:53

I am 7 months in and have no idea....

Baby is currently screaming in her cot and toddler DS starts banging his head on the floor tantruming if I try to leave him to go get her.

Hurry home, DH, hurry!!!!

In all seriousness all the baby's naps are in the pram/ sling. She won't go in her cot during the day even when DS is at nursery/ I have someone else here.

DS was the same - I think I am just shit at getting babies to sleep.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: