Talk

Advanced search

Gro Company Black out blind/ reviews please.

(25 Posts)
wilts09 Fri 09-Feb-18 21:42:31

As title says/ thank you. X

RoxanneMonke Fri 09-Feb-18 21:46:17

Really good. I bought a couple for taking on holiday but have used them at home since. They’re easy to put up and very effective at blocking out light.

FortheloveofJames Fri 09-Feb-18 21:46:31

DS naps better in the dark. We have black out blinds at home but I thought I’d try this to take to family members that don’t etc.

Don’t waste your money. I could NEVER get the bloody thing to stick to any windows I tried it on!

MistyMinge Fri 09-Feb-18 21:46:58

A lifesaver in our household when the clocks change and evenings are lighter. Also great for taking away when curtains are thin etc. My two are a nightmare at going to sleep if their bedoom is too light.

The only downside that on a very hot day they make a room hot.

Badwifey Fri 09-Feb-18 21:48:04

Absolutely fantastic. Definitely recommend. Only pain in the bum is putting up and taking down every day but if you keep it folded properly you get quicker! Put up properly the room is pitch black! Do take it down though if it's really sunny. Someone here said her window cracked because of the heat build up.

NickMyLipple Fri 09-Feb-18 21:48:17

I really rate mine - easy to stick up and rarely falls down.

Negatives for me are they make the room so hot as it traps the heat, and you can't have the window open as it suckers to the glass.

MollyCule Fri 09-Feb-18 21:50:08

I have one and it's great, bring it everywhere in the summer months! DD sleeps much better when it's dark. It works very well tempted to get another for my own room as they recently changed the street lights on my road they're waaay to bright, even though we already have blinds and curtains!

OhSoTotallyLost Fri 09-Feb-18 21:51:09

Ours never stayed up properly and were annoying to get on/off. Maybe it depends on the size of the window. Ordered some from easyblinds instead which you stick on using Velcro and find them much better.

wheresmyphone Fri 09-Feb-18 21:53:21

Bought made to measure from blinds 2 go with black out at back. Really good.

PanannyPanoo Fri 09-Feb-18 21:53:35

Great for travel. perfect fit black out blinds that fit within double glazing frame are brilliant for home.

WinkyisbackontheButterBeer Fri 09-Feb-18 21:56:54

Mine won’t stay up. It drives me nuts.

katycb Fri 09-Feb-18 21:59:06

Measure first they say they are universal fit but aren't- didn't fit ours and we don't have particularly huge windows.

sourpatchkid Fri 09-Feb-18 22:00:23

Great, they stay up really well. DH uses ours as me and DS bed share and DS isn't as sensitive to the light as DH!

BloodyWorried Fri 09-Feb-18 22:20:35

Love it, the suckers are good for travel but we’ve put Velcro on the window frame at home as it isn’t the most reliable.

Alabasterangel6 Fri 09-Feb-18 22:28:30

I made my own at a fraction of the price. No sewing skills required.

Blackout curtain lining - doesn’t fray as it has a plasticsed coating and is the same stuff as the baa/grow/blackout blinds are made from.

And a roll of ‘stick and stick’ Velcro. That means it’s non sew, both the hook side and the eye side have very very sticky adhesive on them.

Stick a strip of the hook side Velcro along the top of your window frame, as near to the glass as you can get.

Cut your blackout to fabric to fit, and stick the loop side to the top of the fabric.

Stick it up at night, take it down, fold it up and put it away in the day. Doesn’t look any less fugly inside or out than a baa/gro blind and costs very little.

Be gentle pulling it off every day so the Velcro stays attached to the fabric. If it starts to come away you can simply staple it on, which works very well.

Bonus is you can also take it on hols. I just take some masking tape to tape it up with temporarily. Or use cheap foil, which works just as well in a temporary situation.

RandomMess Fri 09-Feb-18 22:31:20

Bought mine for £3 at a car boot, love it really helps me when away sleep better.

Youvegotafriendinme Tue 13-Feb-18 07:56:04

I don’t think I’d buy one again. It doesn’t fit the window properly, lights creeps in through the sides and it’s a bugger to take up and down. That and the rooms beyond boiling in the summer.
I’ll buy a Velcro blind made to measure for this summer I think

NeverUseThisName Tue 13-Feb-18 09:23:44

They were brilliant for travel, but far too much faff for regular use at home (have blackout curtain linings for home use, and they just transfer to new curtains so are a one-off expense).

If suckers don't hold then the window is probably dirty. A wipe-down with a dab of vodka around the edge of the glass where the suckers will go generally does the trick. You only need to do this once. Also, the suckers need to be dampened.

If heat is a problem, open the window once the child has gone to sleep.
You can also make a supplementary white-out blind. Take a piece of white sheet a little larger than the blind. Lay it over the blind and make holes where the suckers are. Push the suckers through the holes. When you put the blind up the white sheet will be against the window and will reflect a substantial amount of heat.

MinnieMousse Tue 13-Feb-18 09:26:33

Useful for holidays but a big faff at home and still let some light in around the edges if you have gathered the material. When we moved house we got blackout roller blinds which are much better and weren't that expensive.

RandomMess Tue 13-Feb-18 09:33:31

I was purely reviewing as a travel thing, for Home just go for proper blind and curtains!!!

thethoughtfox Tue 13-Feb-18 09:44:19

Had them on daughters room for 3 years. Never fell off. Now use them on holiday. Best money I ever spent.

alcudia Wed 18-Apr-18 15:24:29

Hi

We have used them when my 6 year old was little and now with our 3 year old twins, last year they helped a lot especially when away. They were invaluable and even though we had to buy two, they were worth every penny.

We got oursGro Blind from Green Child Of Mine
www.greenchildofmine.com/products/the-gro-company-gro-anywhere-blackout-blind-2014-new-version

Chocolala Wed 18-Apr-18 15:30:15

Excellent for travel.

IrregularCommentary Wed 18-Apr-18 15:38:30

Love it. Using ours at the moment since the clocks changed.

stargirl1701 Wed 18-Apr-18 16:48:49

Really good.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: