Talk

Advanced search

4 year old gets up at 5 every day. How do I stop this?

(26 Posts)
topsyandtimison Fri 09-Feb-18 05:46:49

She runs in my room at 5 every day without fail, completely wide awake. Any tips on how to make her sleep later?

annandale Fri 09-Feb-18 05:50:33

I was useless at this, nothing worked but I did finally find that well into year 1 ds finally started sleeping until an hour I grudgingly recognised as legit.

Dizzywizz Fri 09-Feb-18 05:50:52

Nope, but if you get any let me know! (Woken at 4.15 this morning...)

Jinglesnitch Fri 09-Feb-18 05:52:48

I don’t think you can change it. My DC have always been like this - doesn’t matter what time they go to bed. We have tried a groclock with some limited success, but they still wake up early, maybe just 15 mins later!

GELSIDE Fri 09-Feb-18 06:01:40

Check if there is something that could be disturbing them at that time, the heating coming on or the next door neighbours alarm going off.

If you can't find anything then put a clock in the room and tell them they aren't allowed to get up before it's on a certain number, or until the alarm has gone off whichever you think they'd respond to best

Badwifey Fri 09-Feb-18 06:04:15

Same predicament here. 4.45 this morning. Only time I get a sleep past 7 is if she we run the legs of her for an hour, take her swimming or to a play centre. Getting really fed up as I study so I'm falling behind with exhaustion.

AtlanticWaves Fri 09-Feb-18 06:07:22

A sleep consultant told me that if they get up early, to keep them in the dark for a longer and longer each morning before getting up with them to help their body adjust.

I also had a bit of success with a glo clock. If they didn't wake me before the clock turned yellow they got 10p. Then at the weekend they could spend that money on sweets.

Did it for a few weeks until the habit was broken.

Occasionally have a lapse but it's 6am now which is more bearable

Sparklesdontshine Fri 09-Feb-18 06:07:40

Same situation here too 😴

keeppassingtheopenwindows1 Fri 09-Feb-18 06:09:45

We had this with our three year old. We now use the gro clock. I did not believe at all that it would work- but it magically has! We set the sunshine to come on at seven and he stays in bed either awake or asleep until then. I wish we had started using it sooner.

AtlanticWaves Fri 09-Feb-18 06:09:56

I was an early waker (used to wave to the milkman every morning). My parents forbid me from leaving my room until 7am (only time they taught me) except to go to the loo.

I obeyed!

My boys don't sad but we've accepted 6am

NotSureThisIsWhatIWant Fri 09-Feb-18 06:10:26

A what time is she going to bed? Some children, unfortunately, do not need much sleep.

FairyPenguin Fri 09-Feb-18 06:14:06

Exactly what GELSIDE said. At that age, mine had a digital clock and were old enough to understand they should lie in bed and try to go back to sleep. Unless going to the toilet, they had to stay in bed. If they really couldn't sleep then they were allowed to read quietly or play with their soft toys (but not Lego!!). They always used to appear at the exact time we said they were allowed to so goodness knows what time they were waking up but lying in bed in the dark is still resting so much better than before. Even now they both love sitting and reading in the morning (although I now struggle to get DS up and out now!).

Happygolucky009 Fri 09-Feb-18 06:15:30

My nine year old changed himself a couple of years ago and will now sleep until 7:30 - 8am but often is awake much later than I would like! He tends to read to himself in bed, but essentially little we did actually had a great impact!

Seven year old has to be constantly reminded to stay in his room until 6am but his choice would be get up at 4;30am!!! He settles down lovely for sleep much earlier!

The most success we have had is to get into bed with them hoping they will go back to sleep, but it doesn't always work.

FairyPenguin Fri 09-Feb-18 06:16:09

Oh yes and I worked out DD was waking when DH was leaving for work (5:40) so he had to adapt his morning routine to minimise noise. Was much better!

tomhazard Fri 09-Feb-18 06:18:38

At 4 years old they can understand that they must stay in their rooms until a time you say.
Set a groclock or a digital alarm for 6.30am. Leave a banana and some water in their room and tell them they stay there until the alarm/Sun comes up then they can come and see you. They can sleep, play or look at books but not come out .
5am is not a suitable time to be woken by a 4 year old. My dc have been able to follow this rule since 2.5 and the littler one particularly is a hard work child!

Ledkr Fri 09-Feb-18 06:19:20

We leave a drink snack and instructions not to come into us till 7 (she has a digital watch)

flumpybear Fri 09-Feb-18 06:22:10

Black out blind
Check it's not something like the hearing clicking on that's waking your child

Fairylea Fri 09-Feb-18 06:32:17

Both of mine are / were like this (ten year age gap between them). I have resorted to frisbee-ing and iPad into his room and going back to bed myself for another hour or so.

Badwifey Fri 09-Feb-18 10:24:32

My dd actually stays in her room but makes a lot of noise chatting and laughing to herself. She just doesn't seem to understand that she has to keep quiet. I have to go into her numerous times to tell her to quieten down. Then after 2 hours of being awake she'll fall back asleep usually about 6.30/7 and I'm left dragging her out of bed at 8 to get ready for play school.

Whwhywhy Fri 09-Feb-18 10:29:12

What do you do at that time. It’s got to be boring. No tv, I pad etc. Killer to begin with.

My 5 year old kept on having “bad dreams” and coming to sleep in with us. Turned into a habit more than anything. I pay her 20p a day to sleep till 7. In the early days age came through at 6:30 and agreed to go back.

I pay in cash at breakfast. If you are putting a rule in best to back up with reward. 20ps are spent on a Friday on the treats I was buying them anyway.

FurryTurnipHead Fri 09-Feb-18 10:29:17

I had this for years, tried everything, despaired, wept and eventually just accepted it. Like Annandale it took until DS was in year 1 for him to sleep better. It was a brutal six years but I found the more I stressed the worse it felt. I know it's easy to say, but try to ride it out, and one day it will improve (a bit...)

YesitsJacqueline Fri 09-Feb-18 10:33:01

Glo clock and sticker chart. If they manage to stay in bed until 6.30 all week then a surprise egg on saturday.

I never ever thought I'd consider 6.30 a lie in shock

Steeley113 Fri 09-Feb-18 11:16:23

I just tell him to go back to bed 😂 at 4 they can understand that. There’s books and Lego in his room if he can’t go back sleep.

Solasum Fri 09-Feb-18 11:21:07

I adopted a zero tolerance policy from very early on. Early waking = no lights on, no talking, into bed with me, in the dark for cuddles, and a bottle of milk when younger. Without fail he goes back to sleep til 7. By choice he’d start the day at 5am.

Mrstumbletap Sun 11-Feb-18 11:10:48

Gro clock set to 7, if they wake up before that say “go back to bed”. Each night remind them to not come out of their room until the sun is on their clock.

At 4 years old they understand. They are not the boss.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now