Talk

Advanced search

How to night wean a EBF co sleeping 9mo

(6 Posts)
robertaplumkin Tue 06-Feb-18 22:33:43

As above. We need to get him into his own bed but i think maybe night weaning has to come first (am I wrong confused?)

is there a way to do this calmly? at the moment he more or less helps himself he's like a blood hound. is it better to go cold turkey or should i start with a no boob window and make it bigger. he is likely to scream throughout the window of course. help sad

Seahawk80 Tue 06-Feb-18 22:45:40

No advice I'm afraid - I'm in the same situation with a 7 month old! I have moved him into a Travel cot next to us (we have the koo di pop up with inflatable mattress) and he is starting to sleep better in it. I'm in Asia at the moment and tonight he fed at 10pm (bedtime), 2am and 5.30 am so feel like we're getting somewhere!

UnderTheSleepingBaby Tue 06-Feb-18 22:54:55

Whether you go cold turkey or not probably depends how often he is having it/how badly he reacts/how quickly you want it done. You might actually find it's easier to do when you stop cosleeping anyways (OH could do some of the settling if possible)
I used to put DS in his own bed and then cosleep once he woke up. When I wanted to stop night feeds I remember sleeping on my stomach so he could cuddle but not feed. Can't remember much else about it I'm afraid but I don't think he fed that much by then anyways (he was nearer a year old)

teaandbiscuitsforme Wed 07-Feb-18 06:22:12

For me, I'd tackle one thing or the other and kind of hope the second falls into place.

So you could night wean and carry on cosleeping (for now). Dr Jay Gordon has a gentle night weaning plan but it is only recommended for 12months plus.

Or you could move him into his own room. He's completely used to (and reliant) on your presence, your comfort and your boobs. So to me, to suddenly put him in a cot is never going to work without tears. With my 12mo DS we put a double mattress on the floor in his room as the first step. I feed him to sleep lying in 'his bed' and then I escape. I would go back in and feed whenever he woke up and cosleep if I fell asleep or couldn't be bothered to move. But to me, the big success is that this all happens in his room.

Now as it is, DS has taken to this like a pro and started sleeping through ok night 3 - pure luck of course but it has meant night weaning has been taken care off. Of course it won't last forever, there will be times that he wakes up and needs comfort/milk etc as he is still so young so if he wakes up, I will always have the option of going in to feed and cosleep if necessary.

teaandbiscuitsforme Wed 07-Feb-18 06:24:14

Sorry, typos!!

Gayu Thu 08-Feb-18 19:17:24

I weaned my baby at 10 months. It's a month process.. I couldn't go cold turkey... Because she screams a lot... At first I cut down comfort feeds at night for a week... Then cut down the feed before bedtime a week.. slowly replaced with bottle... Then I cut down morning nap time feed... For a month it was difficult but slowly she understood... Whenever I quit a feed I rock her to sleep.... Hope this helps you...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now